Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 12:09 PM

As of New Year's Eve, Regent is changing their dress code.

On cruises of 15 days or fewer, there are no formal nights.

On cruises longer than 15 days, there are two "Formal Optional" cruise nights.

The standard dress for evening is "elegant casual."

Read more about it here.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM

And so it goes, we're ending an era of elegant cruising. I loved dressing up for the evening dinner, we so very rarely dress up for anything anymore. It was so wonderful to walk into the dining room, and see such fabulous settings and people looking so wonderful. I'm still going to dress for dinner, though it won't be as "formal" as before. Years and years ago, I had formal gowns for each evening of the cruise. The one 21 day I did on Royal, I had 3 large suitcases to carry my clothes and a 4th one for accessories. With airline regulations now, it would cost more than the cruise to take that many suitcases.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

There goes another one.

At least there's a mention of the evening dress applying to all public areas. I've never been on Regent -- for those of you who have, how well do you think this will be received?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I've never been on Regent -- for those of you who have, how well do you think this will be received?
I sailed the Navigator from New York to Bermuda a few years ago. Particularly starting from New York, I thought the crowd would be dressed very formally. In fact, the formal nights were not more formal than any other upscale cruise.

People seemed very comfortable to dress up, or dress very elegantly casual. I think those who want to dress up in the future will be in good company. But with the general informalization that's going on in so many circumstances, the option to not dress up will appeal to many. This is not a crowd who will show up in shorts and t-shirts, but I'm sure many will enjoy the less formal atmosphere in an elegant way.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM

I find that a little surprising, Sandy. I, too, would have thought that Regent would have been a more formal crowd. Of course, their elegant casual would cost 10 times what my formal would. My mother had made a few of my formal gowns, the others I found at consignment shops or yard sales in Highland Park (Dallas area).

Closed Thread

Tags
clothing, cruises, formal, optional, regent