Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Banned

My family of six will be stopping in Montego Bay on the Conquest. Where can we go that is not too expensive without getting hassled. Is there a nearby safe beach a short taxi ride away? What shopping options are available. From all the negative comments about Montego Bay, We may just stay on the ship u btil Grand Cayman.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Banned

My family of six will be stopping in Montego Bay on the Conquest. Where can we go that is not too expensive without getting hassled. Is there a nearby safe beach a short taxi ride away? What shopping options are available. From all the negative comments about Montego Bay, We may just stay on the ship u btil Grand Cayman.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:09 AM

We booked with Barrett adventures. It is a small company and four the five of us it will range around 20 an hour. We plan to do a Rose House tour it is not dull , it has a historical theme and then we will decide what else.We sail on July 6 Conguest
Old 06-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Banned

We were in Montego Bay with Sunbird. Heard of people getting mugged. We were followed around and did not feel comfortable. I would stay on the ship. If you need liquor you can get it right there at the terminal, but once again we did not feel comfortable there.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Banned

I'm getting to feel like staying on the ship is the best choice in Montego Bay. If there is anyone else that has an opinion on this I would appreciate a response. Why do cruise ships stop there if everyone feels at risk? Aren't there any sightseeing trips that pick you up from the dock where you can bypass all the people grabbing at you and harassing you to buy stuff?
Old 06-06-2003, 11:45 AM

My husband and I have cruised to Jamaica twice. In Montego Bay, we went to Margaritaville. It is a short walk from the ship and a lot of fun. I wouldn't say it was my favorite island, but the kids enjoyed the water sports (water trampoline, swimming, etc.) free of charge. My husband and I enjoyed the margaritas!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:51 AM

We had to add our two cents worth on this. Jamaica and St. Martin are our 2 favourite Caribbean Islands. Can't stand to see the land of JA slagged. We have travelled to Jamaica 8 times. Our first visit was in '84 and our last was in 2002, which oddly enough was on a Suncruise (the Sunbird). In fact we were married at Sandals in 2000.
On a Suncruise, there are many new cruisers who haven't developed any street sense in port. There are also many elderly Brits who seem to parrot anything they hear. Exaggerated rumours are the order of the day with these folks.
Jamaica is wonderful!!! A great Island with its own culture, history and cuisine. Many other Caribbean nations try to BE Jamaica, by playing Reggae to the tourists and and selling Jamaican dishes.
There are many things to do in Montego Bay. The beach is free, or purchase a day pass to utilize all the amenties at one of the many all-inclusive resorts, or just spend your time in downtown where there is some decent shopping. Try The Pork Pit (not far from the aforementioned Margaritaville bar) for some authentic Jerk food.
If more time permits, hire a driver to Negril, where you will find arguably the best beach in the Caribbean. Cocktails at Rick's Cafe at Sunset is a treat. Or take a trip to the Martha Brae and enjoy a leisure raft ride.
Anyone who tells you Jamaica is not safe is not really someone who knows what they are talking about. Yes the locals try to sell you stuff and they can be bothersome, but just say No and they'll move on ....or you could actually talk to them and learn something about their great Island and possibly end up enjoying the experience.
It all depends on YOUR disposition

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, cruise, cruises, expensive, free, jamaica, jamica, montego, port, reviews, safe, ship, stay, stop, things