Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Quick question: what does everyone wear on these islands? We're going to Cococay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I've heard that some of the natives aren't all that friendly if you walk around in shorts or swimsuit trunks/tops or something like that. My daughters are insisting that flip-flops are fine for the beaches even though I tell them that some people cut their feet on broken shells laying on the beaches. Should I get them water shoes or sandals with more coverage? Thanks in advance.
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 09-23-2006, 02:52 AM

The Natives are friendly, What you mentioned is fine for excursions. Don't know where you heard that. If you have sensitive feet the water shoes are a good idea. I use them here at my beach sometimes. Only thing I can figure is on St.Thomas they are very religious about church on Sunday, and may be offended if you are walking around in a string bikini outside the port area on that day.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:10 AM

But, to add to that the shops in those areas will be closed. If you stay in normal tourist areas you will be fine and appreciated.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 AM
IslandCruz, thanks for the reply. I heard that from a friend at work .Guess her informations was wrong .I'm so glad I get to know you and everybody on this forum, you guys are the best.
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 09-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Just fyi they take pictures when you leave the ship for the day, I find that the only time you need to worry about what your wearing. Most islanders are very casual, its all about comfort!

speaking of which you should have a beach bag with items to help which should include: hats, sunglasses, sun screen, bug juice, water ( i saw one smart lady on our last cruise making her own bottled ice water at breakfast),camera, for water excursions we bring some beach towels from home, that way we don't risk losing a $22 ship towel.
also for water, on most ships they sell a waterproof container that you can put your cash, ship card, ect. in and keep it with you. I never heard of anyone getting ripped off, but these are poor islands and being prepared can help avoid bad situations. when my wife and i snorkel we either bury it in the sand (make sure you can remember where even if your stuffs gone and make sure you dont forget to retrieve it when you leave) or swim with it tied and secured. I may be overly cautious, a bit paranoid, and wasting my time but for me the peace of mind allows me to have fun and not have to keep an eye on our stuff. My wife might even thank me if we ever lose our bag.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
But, to add to that the shops in those areas will be closed. If you stay in normal tourist areas you will be fine and appreciated.
Why do you think the stores will be closed on their trip?

When ships are in port they are OPEN!!
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
We wore shorts and sandels in both ports.
No problem.
Bathing suits are not acceptable anywhere but on the beach.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 09-23-2006, 06:19 PM
WISE2U, thank you so much. I went to Target today to get some travel items, and I could not remember what I was missing until I read your reply.I know now I need to get hats, sun screen and bug repellant.Talking about paranoid, believe me I'm the worst. I'm worry about everything!
LHT28, thanks.I will have to tell my daughters to bring some shorts and sandals.
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 09-23-2006, 08:15 PM

LHT,

Everytime I have been on St. Thomas on a Sunday the downtown shops closed early. Don't know what time it was.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Tanya will be there Wed or Thurs so she has no worries then

FUTURE CRUISES:

Closed Thread

Tags
fashion