Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Our family of four (including 10 and 15 year old daughters) are going on our first cruise in April on the Caribbean Princess. Instead of booking a shore excursion in St. Maarten, we think we might just rent a car and explore the island on our own. First, the car rental. Should we book the car via the internet now, or wait and have the ship personnel help us book it on the cruise? I don't want to miss out on getting a car of our choice (preferably something cheap!!), but I also don't want the ship to change its itinerary and have the car reserved for the wrong day! Also, I don't know where the ship will be docked. Do I find this out through Princess? Now, what to do on St. Maarten. My 10-year old would like to go to St. Maarten Park (the one with the animals). Is this a good choice? Any recommendations for beach, shopping, and dining? (Family dining please, nothing fancy). Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF
Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 AM

I've not had experience in driving in St Maarten but if you are used to American/Canadian roadways you may be in for a bit of a shock. Most Caribbean nations have a sketchy road system and I've only ever heard of Aruba recommended as a drive yourself destination.

I have heard excellent things about a private tour with Joyce Prince. She is normally booked months in advance though, so not sure if she would be available.

If you do decide to book a car rental, definitely do it before you go. I wouldn't count on the ship's staff having any knowledge on this or access to be able to book something for you.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
advance, book, car, cars, cruise, exploring, maarten, martin, port, rent, rental, rentals, reviews, safe, st, tour