Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Greetings fellow cruisers! My husband and I just booked our 7th cruise on RCL's Adventure of the Seas. We are returning to the ship that we cruised on our honeymoon, back in June 2003, so we know the ship is amazing. Just wondering if there is any advice for what to do in the ports: Aruba, Curacao, St. Marten, and St. Thomas. We prefer not to do excursions through the cruiseline, as we have found it more affordable and enjoyable to find our own adventures. We have never been to Aruba or Curacao. We went to St. Marten once before and fell in love with Orient Beach. I definitely want to see Marigot this time, where I have never been, and was wondering if we should go there first and then go to Orient Beach, or hit the beach first and then go shopping at Marigot. From St. Thomas, I was wondering if anyone has ever gone on their own and taken the ferry to St. John and was able to get a taxi or bus to Trunk Bay (we did an excursion the last time, which was awesome, but not enough time there in my opinion). We love beaches and snorkeling, so any advice on those would be much appreciated. Thanks and happy cruising!

Alicia
Old 11-19-2006, 04:12 PM

We have never been to Aruba, so I can't comment on it. In Curacao we took a taxi to the beach. Forgot the name of it, but it was a lovely beach, but had some topless women. Then just walked through the town and did some shopping. We were just in St. Thomas last month. We took a taxi to Red Hook where we then caught a ferry that takes you to Cruz Bay in St. John's. Once arriving in Cruz Bay, we took another taxi to Trunk Bay. What a beautiful beach! They have an underwater snorkeling trail. We have been to Magen's Bay, but enjoyed Trunk Bay so much more. You won't be disappointed. Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Choochella is totally correct, you'll love Trunk Bay. It really makes Orient Beach look like a dive. Depending on the time of the year, they have a ferry running from Charolette Amalie as well. (It runs all year, it's just that the schedule is better during season.)We've been to Aruba and Curacao a few times, but always booked our snorkel excursions through the ships (2 with Princess and 1 with Royal Caribbean). I can't remember the name of the catamarans we used, but I think they were part of the Tiami company. We snorkeled on wrecks in both places and the water was good. Another fun thing to do in Curacao is go to the Curacao factory, the tasting is the best part. I'm really not too crazy about Orient Beach and I'm not a shopper, so the last time we were in St. Maarten we did the America's Cup Race. It was a blast. A bunch of tourist trying to crew a racing yacht, what a riot! For your next cruise, consider an itinerary with Bonaire, Dominica, and Grenada for some great snorkeling. The Grand Anse Beach in Grenada is a great beach as well. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:45 AM

On Curacao went to the Sea-Quarium, it was fun but a few years back. If I am not mistaken, they actually make Amstel Beer there. They have a unique water making system.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM

We were in Aruba last Christmas with Princess. We took a Taxi about... 15 mins to the beach where every cruiser seemed to be. It was packed and very commercial for my liking. The shopping is good and close to the ship..going again this Christmas so would apreciate some advice for a nicer or should I say quieter beach to be fair

Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, aruba, aubra, beach, cruise, curacao, curaco, excursions, kitts, port, ship, shopping, st, taxi, thomas, time