Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 PM

I want to swim with the dolphins on our MOS cruise in October. I saw it is offered in both Cozumel and Ocho Rios- which one is better. Any input is appreciated!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Definitely Cozumel...
Old 07-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

candi, I'm with dr on this one.

Cozumel -- Swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab Park. Ochos Rios -- Dunns River Falls.

These are great first time excursions, in my opinion.

Have fun.
A'ndrea
Old 07-10-2007, 04:42 PM

I noticed there are a couple listed for Cozumel. One is at Chakanaab and I think the other was Xel-ha or Xcaret. Any preference between the 2 in Cozumel?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 AM

We did the swim with the dolphins in Chankanaab pre-hurricane and it was totally awesome, but, Xel-ha is amazing for snorkeling. I think I'd have to try Xel-ha for this, swim and then snorkel. This is my opinion only, maybe some others will voice theirs. I just couldn't get enough of Xel-ha. Best wishes!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate all advice.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:16 PM

Cruiser 2... I agree with Andrealovescruising... swimming with dolphins at Chankanaab is awesome... Our dolphin was Madonna... They take video of your swim for sale afterwards.. I think it was about $40.00 for the video...They also take pictures and try to sell them to you.. they were a bit expensive. After your dolphin swim you can hang out and enjoy the park as well. There is an area to snorkle, a swiming pool hammocks resturants, childrens playground a lagoon with lots of iguanas just laying around... Since you are going to Cozumel, it is probably better to go to Chankanaab as compaired to Xel-ha or Xcaret as they are on the mainland and you have to take a 45 minute one way ferry ride and depending on how long you are in Cozumel, you may not have the time... We did the same trip last February and we were in Cozumel until 10 pm our first thought was to go to Xcaret but the last ferry back was at 6 pm and they suggested not relying on the last ferry back because it could be cancelled and then you're stuck.. so instead of going to Xcaret for a 1/2 day we chose Chankanaab. Also as Andrealovescruising said Dunns River Falls was so much fun and they will do a video for you for about $40.00 and swimming with stingrays in Grand Cayman is a must do They take pictures and give them to you on a disk for about $20... Have fun
Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

I think that being able to be in the water close-up, touching and riding a dolphin sounds like an encounter that would touch the soul and be remembered forever. But I want that dolphin to be as happy as it would be free in the sea. Is that possible? So, I would only go to a facility that has the best conditions and greatest concern for the health and welfare of the dolphins.

Many environmental and anti-cruelty organizations including the Humane Society of the United States, Greenpeace, WDCS (Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society), and CSI (Cetacean Society International) have spoken out against such activities. Several waterparks have broken international laws regulating the procurement of dolphins, and some of the dolphins are kept in overcrowded pens and suffer from stress-related diseases; others have died from illnesses related to human contact.

Until conditions improve, Xcaret has a track record of handling its dolphins humanely.

Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:36 AM

We have done the dolphin swim at several places. Chankanab was the nicest, although the one at Wet n Wild, Cancun was pretty good. We did go to one in Acapulco. It was like 2 large swimming pools. The people and the park was nice but we didn't like the size of the dolphin pools. Way to small.
Dunn's River Falls is for sure a must for Ocho Rios. Love that place
Sherry

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, caribbeann, cayman, cozumel, cruise, dolphin, dolphins, dunns, encounter, falls, forum, grand, place, review, reviews, river, royal, swim