Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 05:19 PM

We are sailing on the Miracle in October to Cozumel. We were going to go to Chankanaab Park for the day. Some people have written that it has only recently reopened but not at 100%. Has any one been to Cozumel recently and have any beach recommendations for a beach to taxi to?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

If your just going to the beach then Chankanaab Park is fine ,but a bit overpriced $16 for general admission which used to cover great snorkeling (now gone) nature trails with replica mayan and aztec statues stuff (closed, probably gone) dolphins (gone), natural lagoon area (closed or gone) 6 underwater statues (all but 1 gone)...now all you get is chairs with and without umbrellas, hammocks, snack bar, drink bar (with no corona, and $3 domestic beer), bathrooms with showers and lockers.
Playa mia is another beach club in the area but I don't know what it is like...Zhul-ha had a couple of beach clubs near Chankanaab Park but i was told they were wiped out too.
For snorkeling there is a hotel beach next to the El-cid that you can walk to and snorkel the area bouyed off. looking from the ship, its 2 doors to the left of senor frogs..they said you could snorkel there but i doubt the would let you use thier chairs.
You can try this page: http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/beaches.php it has some good general info but don't be surprised if you go looking for a beach club and its not there anymore.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 PM

wise2u,

You are painting a grim picture of Chankanaab. I was wondering if you could post any pics from your recent trip concerning this?

I don't think they had Corona before, I think was Dos XXX.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 AM

I've seen mostly positive reviews of Cozumel, given they are recovering form a really bad hurricane still. I haven't seen any other reviews that back up wise2u's critcal comments. I read the dolphin swim is open again from more than one source.
Here's a site with pics of various beaches as recent as 8/2006 http://www.gocozumel.com/beach.htm

I'll be there on Oct 14 and will be happy to give my opinion, even with pictures. We are planning on going to Paradise Beach or if there are alot of ships in port, maybe further down the beach to get away from the crowds. A co-worker recommends Nachi-cocom, and I've read that Nachi-cocom is past where most of the cruise excursions go to. About a $16 cab ride to it.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:33 PM

Hi there, my husband and I are going to be on the Miracle ship too in October. We are looking forward to it and have been doing a lot of research on the islands. We have found that portreviews.com is a great site for info on the islands and excursions as well as grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com....all the islands are on this web site actually and it's great to see the difference in costs for the excurions compared to the ships postings. We are thinking of doing 2 excuriosns in Cozumel. The Sub Ocean View Excursion and the Cozumel Highlights and Shopping one too. We just didn't find the excursions posted for snorkelling was going to be worth the prices. Let me know if you find any that would be worthwhile. My email address is youcanreachtrish@gmail.com

Happy Sailing!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ktjersland:
We are sailing on the Miracle in October to Cozumel. We were going to go to Chankanaab Park for the day. Some people have written that it has only recently reopened but not at 100%. Has any one been to Cozumel recently and have any beach recommendations for a beach to taxi to?

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 09-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

if my scanner was working I'd show you a picture of the only statue left underwater, the 2 starfish (nice sized) and 1 ray.. thats all that was out there and i snorkeled the whole area inside the buoys, from the cold water caves to the busted pier. the only reef left is just to the right of diving platform, just a couple of small coral heads....more coral is bouyed off next to shore by stair areas but was unremarkable with few fish....but if you like snorkeling instead of wasting $16 for admission and $10 for cab each way to confirm my report..i suggest you get on a tour boat going to palancar or other offshore reefs....i may be able to post some pics of the busted up cruise ship pier still being repaired to give you an idea of how bad they were nailed..the water is so clear you can see the crumbled remains on the bottom from 9 stories up!!....its on my dv camcorder...if i have time next week i will set up a page and post video or a few snapshots.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:00 PM

Thanks, Have been looking forward to going back next month. Was re-routed because of Wilma last year to eastern. Was that the newer pier that had the walk thru mall? Most Carnival ships docked there side by side. Prices have sure went up since I was there in 01. Is Fat Tuesday still there?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 PM

I finally found Chankanaab's main site. It has a few before and after pics, and a section to get $2 off coupons.

http://www.cozumelparks.com.mx/eng/about-wilma.asp
Old 09-17-2006, 12:57 AM

Both my emails to the Official Sites have came back as "undeliverable". Due to this and the mixed reviews of late I withdraw my recommendation untill I see the current condition, or see some positive reviews with pictures.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 AM

I appreciate the feedback to my question about Park Chanakaab. Word of mouth from fellow cruisers is much more reliable than the "official web sites". Again THANK YOU!!!

Sounds to me that better options are available on Cozumel. Paradise beach appears to be a little south of The Park Chanakaab. Maybe We'll end up there and then go back and shop downtown. Has anyone heard about damage to Paradise beach?

Closed Thread

Tags
accessible, beach, beaches, chankanaab, cozumel, cozumelparadise, crappy, cruise, mexico, park, photos, port, punta, reviews, sur