Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2006, 07:17 PM

I am wondering what customs will be like when we are visiting San Juan as a port of call in the middle of our trip (Crown Princess, NY to NY, eastern caribbean)? Is this an involved process, or is it like getting off the ship at other ports of call (Bahamas, Cozumel, etc..) where you just get off the ship and visit?
Also, does anyone know yet if Crown Princess will be docking at the terminal in Old San Juan or will I need to take a taxi there?
Thank you for your advise!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:39 PM

If I'm not mistaken, you will not have to worry about customs at all since Puerto Rico is an American territory. I know when we flew into and out of PR directly from the US mainland, we did not go through customs.

The reason you to through customs if your cruise leaves from and returns to that port is because you have gone to foreign countries and are returning to the States.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM

The cruise port is in Old San Juan, the town is in walking distance depending on how much you like to walk. It's about a 15 minute walk. Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I am wondering what customs will be like when we are visiting San Juan
Puerto Rico is a US Territory but you are not disembarking and ending your cruise there.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator

If you have visited another country in between leaving NYC and arriving at San Juan you will go through Immigration. If San Juan is your first stop then you won't see Immigration. We had to do this on a cruise a couple years ago when we stopped at St. Thomas after visiting Nassau. No big deal. In St. Thomas the officials came on board and everyone just went through a line at a lounge and showed them our passports. No forms or anything else. It went fast. Not sure how San Juan handles it.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 PM

Penny,
Some ship dock at the Pan American pier which is on the other side of the Old San Juan docks. That would be a 45 minute walk... A cab would be a good idea if that's where your ship docks.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 PM

Thank you for the advise!
We will be visiting Bermuda first, then San Juan. So I guess we'll go through customs. It sounds like it's real easy though.
Again, thank you for the information.
Jim

Closed Thread

Tags
carribean, clearing, countries, cruise, custom, customs, day, foreign, juan, ny, ports, royal, san, ship, visiting