Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 AM

My wife and I will be cruising to Cozumel and Belize - and would like to see some of the ancient Mexican Indian ruins. How do the ruins near Cozumel compare to the ruins near Belize? Which is better? And should we even consider the Cozumel tour, since it includes a tender ride, and my wife gets sea-sick easily.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM
The Tulum ruins on the Cozumel stop are worth seeing but if your wife easily gets sea sick I would avoid that. That is not a short tender ride to the mainland and it will be bumpy.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Our experience seeing the Tulum ruins at Cozumel was summed up by this: simply not worth it. These are amazing ruins but the ferry ride over takes about 50 minutes and while it wasn't a particularly rough day people were throwing up everywhere. So, while you are still feeling lousy you board a bus and ride somemore, see the ruins, and reverse the adventure. The ruins are amazing. I will surely see them again if I am on the mainland already. Even if you aren't bothered by seasickness you have one day in port and spend almost 4 hours on transportation. This just doesn't work out in my mind.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spoheat:
Our experience seeing the Tulum ruins at Cozumel was summed up by this: simply not worth it.
Wow .... I couldn't disagree more. The Tulum experience was regarded as the best part of our cruise; and this includes the opinions of our 15 and 13 year olds.

The ferry was rough, but no rougher than other ocean ferrys I've taken. Just plan accordingly; take some non-drowsy dramamine or Bonine and you'll be fine. Also, if you have the ability to control which ferry you take, wait for one of the newer jet catamarans. I believe the line is Mexico Waterjets. We rode a traditional hull prop over and the jet back. The jet was at least ten minutes faster (INTO the waves and the wind) and much more stable.

Finally, if you're booking an excursion, don't try to do anything else other than spend a little time in Playa del Carmen. We combined it with another stop and regretted it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Make no mistake, we love Tulum. Just couldn't see a 6 hour shore excursion with about 4 hours spent on transportation. If this is your one shot at seeing ruins, definitely take it. And take a Bonine. That garbage can full of mops when you board the ferry isn't just for show! We just felt short-changed at having spent so much time in transit and would prefer to see Tulum again when already on the mainland.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 AM

Also wanted to add in re the ferry: Some people we know were unable to return to Cozumel by ferry as the seas were too rough by day's end. Sure, it was a cruise line excursion and the line got them back to Miami and all, but it isn't how I would want to spend the last two days of my cruise. I am sure this is really rare, however.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 PM

We saw the ruins in Belize and enjoyed them very much,no sea sickness involved.I have heard that Tulum has the best but have never been there.We used Smugglers Run Plantation tours and were very satisfied,the lunch we had at their plantation was delicious.Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 AM

Xunantunich excursion in Belize is wonderful. Go through your ship, though, because it's a long trek into the rain forrest. Great pyramids, beautiful scenery!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Having been to many Mayan excavations all around the Yucatan peninsula, I would have to rate Tulum as one of the less exciting sites. I know people will disagree with me and that is to be expected when you start asking random people for opinions. I prefer the ruins of Chacchoben over Tulum but since Costa Maya will not be an option for a little while, considering the choices that you have, I prefer the Belize ruins.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 AM

The Tulum ruins are great, but it is a lot of "in-transit" time spent. We've not done the Belize ruins, but if you don't have to get into a ferry, then I'm sure your wife will be a lot happier. The setting of Tulum is truly awesome, such beautiful water surrounding them. Be aware, the steps are very narrow and steep in either of these ruins, it is very hot and humid, and there is little shade (at least in Tulum). Make sure you have sunscreen, water, and bug repellent. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, caribbean, climb, coba, costa, cozumel, cruise, maya, mayan, review, reviews, royal, ruin, ruins, tulum