Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 11:16 PM

I will be cruising to GC in Dec & Jan, both groups of family & friends are completely "freaked" by the latest stingray "attack", in Florida. Does anyone have any ideas for a fun, affordable alternative to Stingray City? My companions in December 2006 will be 8 & 66 years old, in January 2007 our group of six will consist of thirty- & fortysomethings. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:37 PM

Hi pagan,

They have a rather inexpensive excursion to seven mile beach. It is a beautiful beach, but lots of hotels. Grand Cayman is a pretty safe place to do things on your own. If it did not suffer damage, you can walk from the tender pier to Abank's also. They have a restaurant, a little beach with rental chairs and lockers. A nice little stairway to snorkel in view of the ship. They even have equipment there. Only drawback is it is near the street.

Best Regards,
IslandCruz
Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 AM

If someone in the group feels comfortable driving on the left side of the road, renting a jeep or convertible and doing your own tour of the island is lots of fun. Head to Rum Point to spend the day (about 45 minutes from the port) or as you traverse the island, visit the Tortuga Rum Factory, Stingray Brewery and 7 Mile Beach.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 PM

the turtle farm was cool. the beach is gorgeous. there is always a trip to Hell (you can go and send your friends and family a postcard from Hell). they usually have "pirates week" in november. if you are going during this time it is a pretty interesting way to experience caymanian culture.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 AM

Get some Conch Fritters and a Cold Beer at Abank's and enjoy the view of the Ship and take pictures after you snorkel.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 PM

I'm going to reccommend Rum Point Beach over 7 Mile Beach. 7 Mile Beach is too crowded, ugly hotels everywhere. Unless there aren't a lot of ships at port that day (rare) I'd stay away from there. Rum Point Beach however, is not usually listed on Cruise ship's excursions. You can hop on a ferry close to the port. The beach has surreal Caribbean scenery, the kind you dream about. Hammocks, a bar, restaurant, unbelievably clear turqouise water, beautiful shady shoreline shaded by palms and Casurina trees, a gorgeous park.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:12 AM

There are also a couple of wrecks close to where you tender to that you can snorkel or dive. The water is crystal clear (if the weather is good) and the dives are nice. If you like to shop, they have decent prices there as well. I personally have not been to Rum Point Beach, just 7 mile, but if Scott says it's good, it must be. Best wishes!!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:47 PM

Hello
First thing I would do is to go on the Cayman Port Authority web page and check how many ships we have in port that day. It's busy on Wednesdays and Thursdays now but there will be more ships in Dec. and Jan.
If you will be in port in one of those days I would recommend Rum Point. It's a place preffered by locals and it's excellent if you like to just relax for the day. Driving in Cayman is very safe and easy so you can rent a car or take the ferry, it's up to you.
Have fun

Closed Thread

Tags
activities, alternative, cayman, caymans, grand, ideas, senior