Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 AM

As a frequent cruiser to Key West, and "land visitor" also. I have heard some moaning from locals about cruisers, but the truth is cruisers bring in money !! This is and island soley dependent on tourist dollars, and has been devasted by Hurricane evacuations over the last few years. Like Neil as often said here a few moaners or complainers shouldn't spoil a cruise or a cruise destination. I read the same proposal the NCL had slid through during the Christmas break, and it would be horrible for many new cruise itineraries to benefit a very few. Hopefully this injustice will be corrected soon. If I can find a link to contact someone, will that be allowed to be posted here ?
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 AM

I was in Key West last week on my cruise and something that I was told by a trolley driver is that the locals hate the noise from the drivers microphones. He pointed out some elderly men sitting on a porch and said they will sit there for hours waiting to catch them using their mikes. They will take pics, etc. to to get the trolley drivers in trouble. I thought it was nuts, but sure enough when we passed by several hours later, they were still sitting there! Personally I don't see how it is such a huge deal, You are only talking about a few hours of the day where cruise ships are concerned...jmo

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 AM

I can relate to the noise factor. If you lived in that location & had the constant announcements over the loudspeakers to contend with you might understand the irritation.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
He pointed out some elderly men sitting on a porch and said they will sit there for hours waiting to catch them using their mikes.
Must have been a meeting of the local "I need a life" chapter. Sounds like this rotten old woman in my neighborhood growing up - whenever we'd go out and play baseball in a vacant lot she'd come out and sit on her porch just waiting for our ball to get in her yard. Then she'd take it and go inside. Guess who's windows got a good soaping every Halloween?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mojomom:
I was in Key West last week on my cruise and something that I was told by a trolley driver is that the locals hate the noise from the drivers microphones. He pointed out some elderly men sitting on a porch and said they will sit there for hours waiting to catch them using their mikes. They will take pics, etc. to to get the trolley drivers in trouble. I thought it was nuts, but sure enough when we passed by several hours later, they were still sitting there! Personally I don't see how it is such a huge deal, You are only talking about a few hours of the day where cruise ships are concerned...jmo
I can kind of understand where they are coming from. If I paid 1 million plus for a home and had tours driving past all time it would get rather old. The trolly driver on my last trip there told us he could not talk on his PA while going through a certain residential area but he could not stop us from making as much noise as we could. I'm sure this sort of thing is what is annoying. I know I would not want a trolly full of drunken idiots going down my street screaming at my house several times a day.

On the other hand it is a big boost to the economy of the city and a lot of businesses would surely close if the ships left.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry in Miami:
I can kind of understand where they are coming from. If I paid 1 million plus for a home and had tours driving past all time it would get rather old. ...........
If I was going to spend a million dollars on a home, I would be smart enough not to buy it in a tourist town. In Key West you would have to expect a gazillion tourists coming through... That is like the people who buy a house in the approach path of a large airport and then complain about the airplane noise and protest the airport.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM

LOL....the meeting of I wich I had a life club....good one Dave. Like any tourist, the locals and love and hate the tourists, want the almighty dollar, bemoan the commercialization of their town. It is still a great get away, and you can have any kind of vacation you want there, a quickie cruise day, 3 days of constant partying, a week away from everyone....ahhhh, I need to make a reservation.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 PM

The cruise ships stopping at Key West are a more recent thing & I suspect the people who have noise complaints have been there long before the cruise ships have created the problems.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes, I would say most of them were there long before the ships. I know people that have been down there for years.

But times do change...
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 03-20-2008, 03:28 PM

I lived in Key West and owned/operated a Cookie Company on Duval Street back in the 80's. I remember vividly the day the FIRST cruise shipped came to town. It was the savior of many a business, I can assure you. Back then the ships came in twice a week and usually only one or two ships.

Fast forward to present day. One to four ships in town EVERY day, somewhere around 10,000 people and nearly every shop in town fighting for your dollar.

I remember that while living there (I was there for 12 years), the sound of the Conch Train and the Trolley signaled 'new money' arriving, for which we were all grateful.

The people who don't want the noise ruining their time in paradise should realize that someone, somewhere, sometime THEY have made noise that bothered other people. If you live in a city the size of Key West, I think you should expect congestion and noise when the money spenders arrive! Maybe they should buy a place on Sunset Island where the trains and trolleys and tourists can't go.

Just my opinion -- I love Key West, I visit every cruise I can. I'd hate for the ships to stop visiting.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
1995, carnival, cruise, destiny, fasacation, fasiantion, fl, jacksonville, key, reviews, ships, stopped, west