Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 02:47 PM

I have gotten some awesome diamond prices at DI. They also have an upgrade policy that you can have honored at any of their stores, it does not have to be the one where you made the initial purchase.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi out there,

all of you are talking about the big stores. But we prefer the smaller stores. They have better prices and are much more friendlier, if you only want to take a look around.
In St. Maarten I can recommend Caribbean Gems. We got prices for a diamond pendant and a matching omega bracelet, on side in white, one side in yellow gold for really unbelievebal prices. We also get a Rado for my husband for an excellent price.
Because most of the passengers of the cruise ships go to the recommended stores, they dont have to give you better prices. But in the smaller stores, they need to do it.
So try some smaller stores, not only in St. Maarten, also in St. Thomas, Key West, Cozumel.

Wish you look and some really good pieces.

Best wishes from Germany
Marita

Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Hi...
Don't forget that, if you buy loose gemstones, they are viewed as "rocks", and, therefore, not subject to customs (US) or tax.

I will rarely buy "jewelry" unless it's token, or souvenir, quality. If I want to get a deal, I'll put my $$$ into a cut stone. It will appraise for much more (my experience has been with loose emeralds in the Carib.) back home, and you'll not pay taxes. Double savings, better stone. Have a local jeweler set it for you when you get back, and you get to pick the setting yourself!

Hope this helps...
Paul
Old 06-12-2005, 09:35 AM

Shoppers can get very good deals in the Caribbean, especially if they shop at some of the family owned stores. Summer time is perhaps the BEST time to get screaming deals. There arent quite as many people visitng the Caribbean ports, the sales staff will have more time to work with you a bit and sales are a bit slower, they are more willing to go lower on the price.
Hot items this year are Diamonds (2 carats and above) pink sapphires, Tanzanite in the larger sizes and Alexandrite. These items will not be had at a bargain price. Diamonds of just below a carat (the one carat mark is where the price jumps dramatically) of lower color and lower clarity can be had at very low prices.

www.Carigem.org
Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 PM

OK. I will let your advertisement stand for the moment. Is Diamonds International a member of your association? If so, how to you respond to the accusations about them made on this board.

Check out. http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/...2/m/5301022031

Tom
Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

Interesting site. I checked it out briefly. I intened to go back to it when I have more time. I maintain when a person is going to spend big money on Gems anywhere you really have to know what you are buying, and be prepared to live with what you purchase. It is very difficult to recommend jewllry stores unless you know exactly what a person wants. I hope we don't turn this board into a "shopping channel"!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:26 PM

I agree with you totally. CaribbeanBlue did give a credible answer to the problems that were mentioned on the other post, so he/she is welcome to post here all they want.

Tom
Old 06-30-2005, 12:40 PM

No, Diamonds International is NOT on our list. I try to maintain a listing of Jewelers I would feel comfortable sending my own family to.

www.Carigem.org

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, buying, caribbean, carribeam, carribean, cheaper, cruise, deal, di, diamonds, good, jewelry, place, port, southern