Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Mr. Togg Om:

When you were in Cozumel that time (during your cruise aboard Celebrity's Galaxy) did you see the usual items for sale in Cozumel:

-Silverware?
-Oriental/MiddleEast Rugs?
-Cheap Liquor?
-Vanilla Extract?
-All those little knick-knacks?

How about that very, very, very long Duty Free store at the Puerta Maya Pier? Were you anywhere around there? Was it damaged? Repaired? Re-opened?

How about the famous watering hole/hangouts:
-Carlos and Charlies?
-Senor Frogs?

What about all those pharmacies, that sell cheap Rx drugs to gringos? Actually, allot of the shops I saw in Cozumel had a pharmacy in back, willing to sell a myriad of meds to gringos for the asking (no script from your Dr. needed!).

You were one of the first gringos to see Cozumel after Wilma hit it. I was one of the last to see it before Wilma. I was there on October 13th of this year, on my cruise aboard Carnival's Inspiration. I really enjoyed Cozumel. I want to go back when it is back to normal.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:36 AM
OOPS!

Sorry Mr. TOM OGG. I hope I do not have Dislexia
Old 11-21-2005, 03:58 AM

Thanks for report, we depart on Miracle Dec 4th, hoped to take the 3 kids to Chunkanub, but will not be open, Loved it in Feb.. Just glad to be able to get off and see it, Gramma (not gamma) was hoping to shop alittle there. ? which has best off shore basic snorkling to satisfy kids, Paradise or Playa palancar?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:36 PM

Hi all

I've quoted Tom in a story on my website today - also a review of a catamaran snorkel tour and news on the Cozumel real estate market...

See http://www.wilmacozumel.com for more...!

Best wishes

Ian
Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Now I get a different answer from Carnival. Last week they said we were going to Cozumel after all, tonight they tell me it's still Costa Maya. I guess I will find out for sure on Sunday
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 11-25-2005, 08:34 PM

I WAS READING THIS OUT OF CURIOSITY.
I WAS THERE ON THE 14TH. YES ALL SHOPS AND PHARMACIES ARE OPEN, BEACHES TOO. BUT NO DOUBT ITS TOO MUCH DESTRUCTION ALL AROUND. THE ONLY PLACE THAT SEEMS LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED IS THAT CENTER WHERE ALL THE SHOPS ARE. AS YOU DRIVE JUST A BLOCK AROUND AND ALL AROUND THE ISLAND IS JUST DESTROYED. EVERYTHING IS CLEANED UP. I WAS JUST LOOKING AT MY VIDEO AND IT LOOKS SURREAL. DESTROYED. ITS REALLY BAD. BUT SURE THEY CAN SUCCEED AND REBUILD. I DID NOT LIKE THAT THE CRUISE STOPPED THERE AT ALL. I THINK THEY SHOULD FIX A LITTLE BIT MORE AND THEN RECEIVE TURISTS BECAUSE THERE IS A CHANCE THOSE WHO WHERE NEVER THERE BEFORE WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED IN EVER COMING BACK. THE WAY IT IS THERE RIGHT NOW, ITS SOO BAD I JUST CANT PICTURE HOW THE ISLAND WAS BEFORE. I DID BUY A LOT OF STUFF. I RENTED A JEEP AND I DID MOVE AROUND. IM NOT WRITING ABOUT JUST THAT BLOCK, ITS ALL AROUND. ALL
Old 11-26-2005, 03:45 AM

CRUISECONTROL1,

please do not use ALL CAPS!

Thank you!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 11-26-2005, 06:02 AM

Wow, all this yelling.....can't we just get along?!?!??!??!?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm sure the shop owners and others who depend on tourists for their living are happy to see the ships come back
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 11-27-2005, 09:03 AM

Larry, you are so right. I have lived in Cozumel and my husband and I own a furniture store here. When I moved to Cozumel full-time in 2000, I looked forward to the days when the cruise ships did not come to port. But as I saw the people who live here beging to be able to buy new clothes and cars and send their children to school etc. and watched the local people enjoy a much better quality of life, I began to appreciate what the cruise ships do for us. I have to tell you when I head the first whistle of the cruise ship leaving, I thanked God that they were back. It is no secret that this island depends on the cruise ship business, but the Mexican people truly love the tourists and are grateful for them.

I have to agree with the critic who thought the cruise ships came back too soon. I also worried about that, but it is a little known fact that in Mexico, the workers are very protected by the government. Although they make a low salary, all businesses have to continue to pay their employees by law, whether they are open or not. So from a strictly economic standpoint, it is a blessing that we got the cruise ships back right away. The island is cleaner than it ever was before, and if walls are crumbling and the trees have no leaves, the bands are playing and people are dancing. Cozumel is truly paradise, even after Wilma, paradise because of the wonderful, resilient people who live here.

Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, coast, cozumel, cozumels, downtown, duty, free, hours, infrastructure, maya, ogg, pharmacies, puerta, review, shopping, side, south, tom, visiting, west