Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 11:05 AM

great post "luh"
Old 11-27-2005, 12:54 PM

Thanks Lost Cajun. I am glad the information was of value. If you need to know anything else about the island, I am here. Just ask away. I can only tell you my version of things, but it still may be helpful.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:59 PM

We are traveling to Cozumel in Jan glad to hear that it is getting somewhat back to normal. However just read that Belize was hit this week by hurricane Gamma. How is that port? Should we book any off shore excursions now or just wait until we get on ship.
Sandi (rasko)
Old 11-29-2005, 01:51 PM

Hi all

Most people I have spoken with who have visited Cozumel post-Wilma have had a great time - I posted a short story "What are people saying?" about this on my website last week.

There is more damage away from the centre for sure, but I think Cruisecontrol's claim that "all around the island is destroyed" is a little unfair and may wrongly put people off visiting (the next sentance that said "everything is cleaned up" also confused me a little!?)

May be Cruisecontrol only really saw the seafront, which was badly hit and admittedly still looks destoyed in places away from downtown...

Best wishes from Cozumel

Ian

COZUMEL- returning greater than ever!
http://www.wilmacozumel.com
Old 12-05-2005, 02:27 PM

clean- meaning that when they said everything was going to be ready for nov. 14th, they meant they would remove all debris and fallen trees. And come on.. honesty people.. destroyed is the keyword here. Ive never been there before and it seems that it was a great port, and that it used to be beautiful but now its under construction again.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:06 PM

Ok... honestly.... Cozumel is not destroyed... "amazing" is the keyword..!

Sure there's construction going on in places, but downtown and the main tourist spots are looking as good as before, leaves are even back on the trees now...

Take a look at my site for photos, you can also see new reports about beach cubs and hotels here...

Best wishes

Ian

COZUMEL - returning greater than ever!
http://www.wilmacozumel.com
Old 12-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Wow! I am finally back online after almost a month. First the Galaxy and then the Navigator and then the Luxury Travel Show in LAS.

Hey look. This is a half empty/half full thing. Sure, there is still lots of destruction in Cozumel (I was just in Grand Cayman, ditto there) But a visitor to Cozumel can do everything they did before the hurricane and it improves daily. The shopping downtown is great and many of the beach clubs are back, better than ever.

Are there damaged buildings, street scape and other infrastructure? Of course there is. But, if you want to go shopping, drinking, to the beach, snorkeling, diving, fishing...whatever, have at it. It is all there. One of the messages asked about the drinking places of Carlos and Charlies and Senior Frogs; they were all but wiped out because of their exposure to the ocean. However, the Shrimp Bucket) in the same mall and owned by the same folks) is open and ready to party.

If you go expecting to find untouched paradise, try fantasy island, but if you go with an open mind and heart...you will have the time of your life. Both the Mexican government and the Mexican people deserve accolades for an unimaginable task accomplished in record time.

I got a bunch of pictures and will publish them to http://www.CaribbeanPortReviews.com so that you can make up your own mind.

Happy sailing.

Tom
Old 12-11-2005, 03:19 PM

Thanks Tom, we are very much looking forward to visiting Cozumel. We know it will be wonderful.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:31 PM

Just wondering, did Wilma damaged all the coral reef and stuff? I read another posting where it says that all the coral reef is dead, just wondering if snokling there is still good. I'm going on April 30/06.

thanks,

carmen
Old 12-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Carmina,
We just returned from Cozumel, and it did do quite a bit of damage to the reef.
The beaches are littered with coral, and although it should still have enough life to enjoy, it wont be the same for a long time.

Newkie

Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, coast, cozumel, cozumels, downtown, duty, free, hours, infrastructure, maya, ogg, pharmacies, puerta, review, shopping, side, south, tom, visiting, west