Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:29 PM

The taxi ride to Red Hook is a thrill ride in itself. It doesn't compare to the open air taxi ride from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay on St. John though. Definitely not a good place to ride scooters.

Dwayne
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
^^^^
the caribbean is no place for a scooters,
I use to have one, an SPREE from honda, but I sell it becuase the traffic don't respect this kind of motorcycles and especially on Puerto Rico.
I only mentioned it becuase is near port, but even carnival recomendations says on the capers excursions:

"Do not to rent scooters"

and I don't recomend it either...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

It's funny when it comes to scooters. They are perhaps the most common vehicle one sees in cities of Europe, and they are respected by the other traffic.

I rented a car on St. Croix once and almost got in a wreck. I was doing fine driving on the left until I got to an intersection where I needed to turn left. Habit intrusion caused me to select the right lane when I turned onto the new street and I almost hit a truck head-on.

I supposed it would be different if I was staying on an island for a week. I still wouldn't rent a scooter but probably would get a car - and be especially careful while driving it. But for a cruise and the few hours one is in a port, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to rent anything.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 PM

We rented ATV's in St. Maarten and really had a great time. We'll do it again in October for sure.

Sonny
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
It's funny when it comes to scooters. They are perhaps the most common vehicle one sees in cities of Europe, and they are respected by the other traffic.

I rented a car on St. Croix once and almost got in a wreck. I was doing fine driving on the left until I got to an intersection where I needed to turn left. Habit intrusion caused me to select the right lane when I turned onto the new street and I almost hit a truck head-on.

I supposed it would be different if I was staying on an island for a week. I still wouldn't rent a scooter but probably would get a car - and be especially careful while driving it. But for a cruise and the few hours one is in a port, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to rent anything.
I drive a scooter at home & often rent them in the Caribbean if the price is right & in St Thomas it isn't. The price is almost the same as to that of a small car (which can be split among another couple). From what I understand the high price is due to the high insurance rates they have to pay just in order to do business there. Unless your comfortable driving a bike at home, renting & practicing to drive one in the Caribbean, especially driving on the left side, isn't the best decision.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
We rented ATV's in St. Maarten and really had a great time. We'll do it again in October for sure.
Sonny, I love the pic. Aren't you all driving on the wrong side of the road for St. Maarten?

Dwayne
Old 08-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Nope—in St. Maarten you drive on the right side of the road.

Sonny
Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 PM

Yep, I remember that now. I have only been there once. We did a Catamaran/Beach type excursion. They have an ATV excursion on Cozumel that involves a lot of mud. I have never driven on any of the islands except Key West. I almost ran over someone on a bicycle. And this was driving on the right side.

I guess we better steer this back to St. Thomas. I can recommend The Green House for lunch or a drink while shopping downtown. I usually take a break and get an ice tea (or something frozen) there.

Dwayne
Old 08-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I have never taked a taxi on st. Thomas
Don't really know if they are safe.
So I mainly stay on the havensight mall,
Is there is a good recomendation of a restaurant or a piNa colada stand near heavensight mall??
How far??
Old 08-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Is there is a good recomendation of a restaurant or a piNa colada stand near heavensight mall??
How far??
If you don't mind the ride up on the tram, they have some tasty frozen drinks at Paradise Point.

Here is a map.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
croix, cruise, forums, mopeds, port, reviews, ride, safe, scooter, sky, st, stthomas, thomas, tram, usvi, vi