Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Can someone tell me from where the ships dock, can we walk to a nice beach? What would be near the pier. Ship docks at 2PM and leaves at 10PM.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Hello
Well there are a few things that can help:

If you are book on carnival Victory it will dock almost in front of the Sheraton hotel and it will be at the Old San Juan port, yes old San Juan its walking distance from it, same case on th Crown Princess.

If you are book on RCCL adventure of the sea it will dock on the "Isla Grande" port near the Isla grande airport. Is a little far from Old San Juan, not walking distance you will need a taxi to travel from it to old San Juan.

There are no near beach at walking distance from either port, you will have to use a taxi in order to get to one, since the area is mostly used to Dock Cruises and ships is way deep for a tourist beach so maybe you will find one on "el condado" or other place but you will need to get a taxi.

The ships don't dock at 2:00 pm Both Cruises are at their designated port at 7:00 or 8:00 pm depending on the trip or special situations that time can change but mostly they arive at that time.
They say on the paper you cannot board "until 2:00 pm" because they need to clean the ship and make preparations before the new cruisers arrive.

Hint : you can try to get to the ship early, I always go to the port at 11:30 am. I have to wait a little but by 12:30 to 1:00 pm. I am already eating at the buffet, no lines or problems but remember they won't let you go to your cabin until 2:30 pm. after that you can drop your luggage on your cabin and go to old San Juan for a quick visit of "El morro" or other atractions.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ship docks at 2PM and leaves at 10PM.
I assume this is your cruise on the Celebrity Solstice, cruising out of Port Everglades. Is San Juan your first or second stop?

There really isn't any nearby beach. As Caz notes, it is a commercial shipping area. Walking around will really be limited to Old San Juan.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Dave and Caz, Yes you are correct Dave it is the first stop from Port Everglades and we were thinking we would not book any excursions at this Port because we have booked at the Murano Specialty Restaurant at 8:30PM. It has been years since I was in San Juan, flew in with the Rhode Island Air National Guards for a few days. Really didn't see anything that was a do not miss place when checking out the excursions. We really just wanted to get to a nice beach and relax for a few hours. I remember going to a beautiful beach where you could get drinks from a hut or cabanna. That was very nice to just sit on the beautiful beach. What made it extra nice back than is we left a bad snow storm at home in RI Thank you both for the infomation, as always very helpful.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Well there are a few atractions on Old San Juan that even me don't want to mix when I'm there:

1. the home of "La Pi~a colada", Puerto Rico was the place where that famous drink was invented, actually on one of our hotels but the bartender that invented the drink now has the place.

2. The amphibious Bus tour where you can see old San Juan by land and on the same bus cruise the old San Juan Bay see "el morro" from see and get back to the ship on time.

3. The chocolate store they had there on old San Juan near the carnival dock, with imported chocolate from around the world.

4. "La Capilla del Cristo" where Juan Ponce de Leon, the person who tried to find the fountain of youth, is resting (RIP) now.

As you see there is much to offer problem is that the cruiseline will not offer exactly what you want, maybe if you get a tour from one of our taxi services it will be cheaper and more exciting...
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Caz,
Thank you for all the great tips, I do appreciate you taking the time to give us great ideas on what to do while in San Juan for a short time. It sounds like you have been there many times. It is always a pleasure to hear from fellow cruise buddies who have good insight on ports we have not yet had the pleasure of visiting!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Is not that I have been there many times I live on Puerto Rico I had been here all my life, if you need any info on the island please let me know it will be my pleasure to give you any info on San Juan or my "isla del encanto" Puerto Rico...
Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 AM

Wow, how easy it must be for you to get on a ship! Thanks again.
Jan

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM

I love sailing out of San Juan. My wife and I fly in a day or two early prior to boarding the ship. The Parrot Club is one of my favorite restaurants. It's very close to the docks in Old San Juan.

Sonny
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
El Morro is a very nice side trip to take...Lots of history....Happy Sailing...
You will sail right by El Morro when you sailing to and out of Puerto Rico.....wonderful picture taking.....Have a Great Cruise...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, chocolate, cruise, dock, docks, forum, hrs, juan, port, puerto, rico, san, ship, ships, store, taxi, walk