Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 PM

We go on Conquest on 1/22. Do we need to take our passports with us when going on shore trips in Jamaica and Caymans?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM

The only port we needed passports was Nassau. But they did not tell us before. But we usully have copies of or passports with us and that was enough for the port authorites.
Did not need passports in Jamaica or Cayman, but would recommend, to have a copy with you.

Marita

Old 12-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Normally your ship's key card and a photo ID will suffice. They should tell you what is needed for each port when you are on the ship.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 12-31-2005, 10:03 AM

Do u mean that we should carry of photocopy of our Passports with us while on the cruise ?? Doesn't the cruise line take our passports from us & keep them while we r on the cruise. Only been on 1 cruise -- going on our 2nd Jan 14 on the Caribbean Princess.
Thanx
Old 12-31-2005, 10:57 AM

Yes, the cruiseline will take your passport and you will get it back, 1 day before you disembark.
We scanned our passports, sealed them and every time we leave the ship we take these with us.
And of corse our ships key card.

We have done several cruises, but only in 2 ports we needed the copies. The last time was Nassau, last month. And the port authority was not really friendly to the people, he forgot their identification on board. Some people had their drivers licence, but of corse, nobody had his passport.
But as I told you before, they accept a copy or a scan.

Happy New Year
Marita

Old 12-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Thanx for the info -- so should we also have our DL with us as well ?? What should we carry besides the card from the ship + I will have a copy of our passports, anything else u can suggest ??? So much appreciate the help
Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 PM

Take 1 $ notes with you. Some shops take $ when you will pay on the islands, but will give you the change in their currency.
You also need 1 $ notes for tips, for some extra tips to a waiter, stateroom attendant, porters, taxi driver and more.
We usulally have about 50 - 100 $ in 1 $ notes.
On the ship you can pay anything with your shipcard. But now and then you need some Dollars.
If you have more questions, please ask and we`ll try to answer them. And take a look on the port and shore review site. There are so many things youŽll find, about the ports, tours and more.
Marita

Old 12-31-2005, 03:54 PM
I have been on three cruises and they have never taken my passport. I just showed it to them before boarding.

Bringing a bunch of $1 bills is a good idea.

Things must have changed in Nassau, the last time I was there I did not have to show my passport.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 12-31-2005, 04:41 PM

Larry, Marita is a German citizen and therefore subject to different immigration laws than Americans are. The ship will only hold your passport if you are visiting a country that require its review. Most International cruises require that you hand over your passport when embarking the ship.

I strongly suggest that one carry a "port wallet" that has a copy of your passprt, drivers license, insurance contact information and emergency contract information along with one credit card that has emergency funds available if needed. Leave your passport and regular wallet in your cabin's safe.

This way, if you lose it or it is stolen...no biggee. You just have one credit card to report missing and you simply move ahead with your cruise.

On the other hand, if you get stuck in port by missing your ship or something else happens, you can put your hands on enough ID to move ahead. With a little cash and a good amount of credit, you can generally recover from any mishap.

Have a great cruise.

Tom
Old 12-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Another item to put in the travel wallet is the contact information for the port agent at each port. This is provided on the daily program or map/shopping guide you will get on the ship. You'll have to change this out at each port.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, bring, caribbean, cruise, nassau, onshore, passport, reviews, ship, shore, trips