Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM

We decided for our first cruise to do a shorter cruise - 5 days. There's one day in Cozumel and one day in Progreso.
So for shore excursions - any ideas? It will be my husband, our 10 year old daughter and myself. We are not real big beach people, laying on the beach all day doesn't do much for us. Question about snorkeling - How deep is the water where the snorkeling usually takes place? I'm not a strong swimmer and having to tread water while snorkeling is not enjoyable for me.
Right now we are thinking that we will just spend the day in Cozumel wandering around, shopping, etc. Is it possible to walk or take a taxi to an area that would be good for that? We had seen something about one of the underwater viewing things, I guess like a submarine, has anyone done that?
It seems like Progreso is not as geared toward aimless tourist wanderings so we thought we might do an excursion to some Mayan ruins. I'm sorry I can't remember the name - starts with Dzib...and looks to be about halfway between Progreso and Merinda (again not sure of name?)
There is a Carnival excursion that combines a trip to Dzib... and then to somewhere else for a horse show and lunch. Has anyone done this?
We are interested in seeing some of the Mayan ruins, but don't want to spend half the day on a bus just getting there and back.
Thanks for any ideas...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

In April 2003, we took the Grandeur of the Seas to the Western Caribbean. In Cozumel, and since you're not all day beach folks, they offered a fiesta party boat, full of ugly americans (not in the sense of physical ugliness or beauty, but in the behavioral sense). One in particular struck me...she was rather rotund, in a revealing bikini, and missing some teeth. I thought that if she could afford a cruise, couldn't she afford a trip to the oral surgeon and an implant or six?. She kept slurping up them drinks through the holes in her face!

The trip was actually kind of fun. I loved the sociological phenomena of those who were on the boat with us. Fascinating. Live music, complimentary rum drinks, shots of tequila, and about a half hour boat ride to a beach. An hour or two on the beach, and a return boat ride with more complimentary drinks. We snorkeled at the beach location as well, although it was not a prime snorkeling area. As I recall, we had some time to wander around town, but not too much time.

Progresso had a jeep trip to a bird sanctuary and a small Mayan ruin which had few visitors. It was close to the port (within an hour, tops). If memory serves me correctly, I believe it was Xtampo. We found the trip educational, fascinating, and well worth the time and money.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM

HeatherA.. When are you cruising? We are leaving out of Galveston July 9th with that same itinerary. Hubby, I and 3 teens. Well, one is 21, but acts like a teenager. I have read some recommendations on excursions through these threads, but am still trying to decide also.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 PM

We're leaving June 30.
Since this is our first cruise and my first time to Mexico, we thought we would just take it easy. I don't want to have to wake up too early just to get on a bus for a couple hours.
We are also leaning toward just doing the excursions through Carnival. I'm sure we could get a better price through the other sites, but not knowing how it all works, thought we would be better off that way. My aunt and uncle had trouble with a Carnival excursion somewhere in Mexico a few years back, but I think they did end up not having to pay for it because they had booked through Carnival.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Goin' Cruisin',
So I think I will stay away from anything with "fiesta" or "party boat" in the title! LOL!
I will look into the Xtampo and bird sanctuary though. That sounds more our speed.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Just remember, this was 4 years ago. I'm sure things have changed to some degree.

PS: Okay, what scared you away from anything with "fiesta" or "party boat" in its' title?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM

This will be my husband and kids first cruise also. I have done two others in the past (past life) and wanted to break them in gently and get my husband hooked for the future. Goin' Cruisin', I have also done the "fiest" and "party boat" excursions and had a BLAST (and can finally drink rum again) but would not take teens on one. Just a personal decision.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

Oops, I missed the 10 year old part of the original post. Let me respectfully retract the party boat suggestion. My bad. I whole heartedly agree with this not being an excursion for the youngsters...
Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
Oops, I missed the 10 year old part of the original post. Let me respectfully retract the party boat suggestion. My bad. I whole heartedly agree with this not being an excursion for the youngsters...
If it was just husband and me, I think it would be fun! But I took it as a warning that I wouldn't want to take the kid on it.
I had read one excursion about a "pirate ship" and I thought that sounded fun, then I realized it was a party boat.
But thanks, because that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for - in other words, what we probably don't want to do as well as ones we do.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM

We did excursion in Progreso of city tour with shopping and then the lunch and horse show. I would NOT recommend this tour if you are interested in doing any shopping as where they took us it was extremely high with little to no bargaining. The lunch, in my opinion only, was awful. The horse show was good and the charros did come over after the show and take my grandson on one of the horses with him and ride him around the ring a couple of times. He had a blast. The shopping at the horse show was better than that downtown. We booked this one thru Carnival, I think it was around $65 per person with no discount for the 5 year old grandson.

If you do the ruin tour, be sure to take the bottled water with you when you get off ship as it will be pretty warm and humid. We have done a ruin tour thru Costa Maya and it was very interesting.

In Cozumel, the shopping is very convenient to the port and taxis abound. You can get a taxi to take you to far end and shop your way back to the ship. Bargaining is so so and you can find some good buys. They do accept the "NO THANK YOU" here with not too much hassle. I just tell them and keep walking and they generally give up. You can also find several places along the way back to the pier to get some really good food. We favor Panchos Backyard which is inside Los Cinco Soles store. They were a little higher this last time (2/07) but the service, food and atmosphere is worth it. There is also a trip you can take that goes around the island with shopping and museum included that I have done that was pretty informative and the shopping at one of the stops was no pressure bargaining. It is about $40 per person.

Closed Thread

Tags
boatspirate, carnival, cozumel, excursions, good, ideas, kids, party, port, progreso, progresso, rum, ship, shopping, tasting, tour