Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 12:14 PM

I received a transcript of this letter and was asked to post it on behalf of my Cruise Related contacts in Cozumel:

Hi all
I live in Cozumel and work with many businesses that offer tours and services to cruise ship passengers. I am in Cozumel now and I was here during Wilma - I'm now back online as the island recovers fast.

I've been catching up on the discussions and I'd like to deliver an important message from the cruise-related businesses on the island...

We're ready for you!!!

The spirit of the people is incredible, the whole island has been out shoulder to shoulder cleaning up and rebuilding. Power has already returned to essential downtown areas and many tourist shops, bars and restaurants are open - NOW!

Cruise ship shore excursions are also ready to go - if a cruise ship arrived today the passengers would still be spoilt for choice with things to do and the Cozumel people would be delighted to see them.

The first cruise ship - from Royal Caribbean - will arrive in 2 weeks - it's fantastic that Royal Caribbean are standing by the island right now and I'm sure that once they recommence trips here other cruise lines will follow suit.

The Royal Caribbean passengers that arrive on 14 Nov will be amazed how fast the island is repairing itself. Don't think this is a public relations exercise, the island really is recovering fast...

Yes, piers have been damaged, but this is not a problem. In the short term, passengers can be brought in safely by tender - this is how it used to work in Cozumel, and indeed it works this way in many other western Caribbean destinations.

Fury Catamarans is one of my clients - their boats are 100% okay and they are ready to run tours today.

Paradise Beach is another of my clients - the building containing the office, kitchen and bar was damaged and is being knocked down. Sand was moved from the beach, but already most of this has been recovered and the beach itself will be ready in a few days. Once that is done a temporary bar and kitchen will open so the beach can once again welcome visitors. All the beach toys, chairs and umbrellas are 100% okay and ready to be used. The pier is still there but is a little wonky - it will make for a good photo! They should be ready to receive visitors in the coming weeks...

Aviomar - one of the island's biggest tour operators - is also ready with a number of shore excursions, I'll let you know which ones if I hear more...

I believe Playa Mia have also committed to reopening for cruise ship passengers in the coming weeks too.

Chankanaab natural park was hit hard but I understand it is being given the highest priority now during the clean up - I'll let you know if I hear any more.

Like I say, don't be put off visiting Cozumel - there are plenty of impressive photos of the damage that was done, but they are already outdated - you can walk in many parts of town today and not believe that a hurricane was even there.

We hope to persuade all the cruise lines to start visiting again in days and weeks, not months. If you would like to help the people of Cozumel, why not contact your cruise line and express your support...? (send me a copy if you like: wilmas_conscience@yourcontactintheamericas.com)

Some cruise line contact details are below for you...

We look forward to welcoming you all to Cozumel again very soon... I'm online and happy to help with questions where I can too...!

Ian
Writer/Photographer/Marketing Consultant in Cozumel

--

Support Cozumel by contacting to your cruise line!
=====================================

Carnival: http://www.carnival.com/contactus.aspx

Royal Caribbean: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cu...actUsOnline.do

Princess: Call 1-800-PRINCESS

Disney: https://secure.disney.go.com/dcl/en_...=ContactUsPage

Holland America: http://www.hollandamerica.com/contacts/contacts.do

Norwegian: Call 800-327-7030

Celebrity: https://secure.celebrity.com/contactus/custSvcsForm.do

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 PM

My respect to the people in Cozumel, working so hard, that tourists can come back to their town.

I saw the pictures on tv and here on the board and itīs almost unbelievable, that people have done so much in such a short timeperiod.

I hope for them, that cruiseships come back to Cozumel and people appriciate what the mexican people have done and can enjoy the city of Cozumel and other parts of the island.

Best wishes to all of them
Marita

Old 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM

Wow, we sail Dec 19 and Cozumel is scheduled, I hope that RC will make it happen! This letter has gone a long way to convincing us that we just might see Cozumel this trip after all!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks for posting. I will definitely be sending my cruise line the request. The spirit of the letter was uplifting and I am so glad to see the residents are so positive.
Suzi
Old 10-31-2005, 04:35 PM

This letter sounds very encouraging and I hope that the island bounces back as quickly as Ian reports. But, I must admit the pictures I see still cause me to be a bit skeptical. Not that I don't look forward to my next cruise there, and would be very willing to sacrifice a few port comforts to aid the economy and help the people recover.
Cindi
Old 10-31-2005, 07:29 PM

Nancy,

Thanks so much for posting this important update for us.
Wonderful news.

I look forward to a visit to Cozumel again soon

Cathy
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 AM

Nancy,

I made a translation for the german board.

best regards
Marita

Old 11-01-2005, 03:57 AM

I asked this question before but no one answered... the photos of the Carnival pier- was that the same pier the Elation docked at this summer? I know there was another CCL ship there that day- I think it was the Glory- that was either at another pier or tendered in. Just wondering if that was the main pier right in the shopping area.

Thanks, Carla
Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 AM

I do hope that the Galaxy calls on Cozumek in the 14th. I will take as many folks our to Paradise Beach as I can and launch a major party.

Carla, yes, that was the pier Carnival uses.

Tom
Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 AM

I'm sailing on a cruise next week that's supposed to stop in Cozumel on Nov. 12. So far the cruise line has not notified me of an itinerary change, but I assume there will be one. Tom, I hope you can stop there two days later.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, catamaran, fury, royal