Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 10:10 AM

I've never snorkeled before but would like to try it. If we go to Chankanaab Park on our own, will there be anyone there who can show us how to snorkel or would it be best to use a guided service?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

hi maryannb. Welcome. I've been to Chankanaab National Park many times in 20 years. It's perfect snorkeling with beautiful reefs and crystal clear waters. Check out www.caribbeanmag.com Also try googling Chankanaab Park Cozumel. There is plenty of info there. You may have to contact the park directly to schedule a guide for snorkeling. Although, I will say, if you can breath, you can snorkel. It's just that easy.

We always rent a jeep at the pier and do Chankanaab on our own. It's a straight shot... about 15 minutes down the road from where the ship's dock.

At Chankanaab, you will find lockers, showers, food, beverage, beach wait service, lounge chairs, souveniors, etc. All this surrounded by tropical, lush garden paths to stroll through. There is a nominal fee to enter the park. Bring your towels from your cabin.

Chankanaab is my all time favorite Cozumel destination. It's absolutely pristine. Have fun.
A'ndrea
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

Maryann, another website that I thought of that may be helpful to you is.... www.caribbeanportreviews.com
Good luck.
A'ndrea
Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Maryann,
I would say get a guide if you have never snorkeled before. It's not that hard to do, but it can be very tiresome and a little scary the very first time you do it. But once you get the hang of it, you're going to love it.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:21 PM

Just to add, Chankanaab is still not quite back as it was pre hurricane Wilma. But is open and coming back. The taxis are everywhere and very reasonable.

Chankanaab would be an ideal place to learn snorkeling. The only better place I can think of is Trunk Bay, St.John because is a steady beach decline and Chank is more like a step down into thing. But you don't need a guide.

If I can make a suggestion, go to wal-mart or somewhere and get some equipment. Go practice in a pool and get use to wearing the mask and breathing through the tube. That way you will be already use to it. You will love it, it opens you up to a whole different world.

Have to agree with A'ndrea, Chank was one of the most wonderful parks. But it did take a serious blow with Wilma. Anyway here is a direct link to the official site with info and entrance coupons Click Here.

Best Regards,
IslandCruz
Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Banned

Dwayne, many good points. Thanks for adding to mine.

We haven't been back to the park since '05 and, from what others have stated, the pier is no longer standing since Wilma came through. Therefore, I'm not even sure where the rental car businesses are located now. We just always rent a jeep, do the park, and then tour the entire island during our time spent there.

That's a good point you raise in regard to maryann buying cheap equipment at Walmart and practicing first. I forgot about the drop into the water at Chankanaab. (Don't get nervous maryann.) It's more like big steps into the water.
A'ndrea
Old 05-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Maryann...spend a few extra bucks and take the Catamaran Snorkeling trip. They explain everything to you, give you plenty of help, FREE BOOZE when you're done, and then you go to their private island for more fun! You'll be glad you did!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM

Steve, that is an excellent idea. I have done the Fury on Cozumel and it was an awesome experience.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:39 PM

The Fury in Cozumel is awesome. The power snorkel is good too. Passion Island was also just as good. We've been to Cozumel so many times it's hard to find a favorite!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-12-2007, 07:51 PM

We were in Cozumel in January and did a clear kayak excursion. There was NO coral left to see. So much of the coral was swept away in the hurricane. The guide had to throw food in the water to get some fish to show up. It was very sad. I wonder if it'll take 100 years for all that coral to get re-established.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, chankanaab, clear, cozumel, kayak, national, park, power, review, reviews, royal, snorkel, snorkeling, texas