Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 06:59 AM

Anybody ever been? My boyfriend and I read about it in our Fodor's book at home. We thought it would be fun!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:18 PM

georgi,
Personally, I found that particular excursion to be very boring and a total waste of time. Of course, that is just my opinion and others may have found it interesting.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

georgi,

Let me second Nancy's opinion of the turtle farm. It is fun for families with little kids but other than that it is mostly a means to make everyone exit through the souvenir shop. I think they were expanding it with some other things to do, but I have not heard more about this. Stick with the tours dealing with beaches, swimming, snorkeling when in Grand Cayman.

And while I'm on a roll........the Hell stop is a monumental waste of time too. An odd shaped rock formation in the water (swamp, really), a t-shirt shop, and a post office. That is it. This is usually done in conjunction with the turtle farm tour. It is not worth the time or money.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:07 PM

Ah. Well that stinks. I thought it would be fun. Guess we'll just plan on going to the beach for the whole day instead! Anybody ever been to the Ostrich Farm in Aruba? It's probably the same way as the Turtle Farm I bet, though. Bummer!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:36 PM

hahahahaha whenever anyone mentions the turtle farm I always start laughing. This is because a good friend of mine was working as a social host on the Conquest and whilst on stage giving out info about the tours she made a bit of a mistake and called it the "Hell and Torture farm", which it actually sounds like
Old 03-30-2006, 02:03 AM

Just to give an opposing viewpoint we found both the Turtle Farm and Hell interesting. Sure the Turtle Farm may only appeal to those interested in wildlife and the measures being taken to preserve it, but it does interest some people. Similarly the rock formation at Hell is a unique and interesting thing if you are interested in geography, etc. So please don't sneer at things that interest others. We have no interest in some of the so called watersports, rough drives and other activities that active souls enjoy, but we don't dismiss them as stupid. Inevitably gift stores are a feature of any tourist destination but you don't have to buy anything if you don't wish to. Each to their own.
Princess Star 2003, Sun 2004
P&O Oceana 2004
RCCL Nordic Empress 2002
Regal Empress 2002
RCCL Legend of the Seas Apr 2006
Saga Ru** June 2006
P&O Arcadia July 2006
Carnival Miracle Oct 2006
Booked:
RCCL Navigator Apr 2007
P&O Aurora Sep 2007
QM2 Sep 2007
Sapphire Princess Apr 2008
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 AM

We were talking last night, and said we might still check it out. We like things like that with animals and such, so we might find it interesting. I think it would be pretty cool to hold a baby turtle, too! We still have a month to figure it out. Thanks everybody for your suggestions and opinions!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

One thing is that it doesn't take long to do the turtle tour. You have the big tank with the full grown breeder turtles and several small tanks with the hatchlings at various stages, and finally the "petting" tank. This photo shows just about the whole farm: Cayman Turtle Farm . The tank where you can hold one is to the right of the photographed area.

Just bear in mind that while the farm sends turtles back to sea, they actually process most of them as food - which you can sample at their snack bar. They don't hide this fact: Turtle Control
Old 03-30-2006, 08:13 AM

Umm....that is absolutely disgusting. I don't think I want to go there anymore now.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Disgusting? Well, perhaps, but not any more so than going to a cattle farm or picking out a lobster from the restaurant tank. Turtle meat is popular in the Caymans.

Many tourists show up at the farm thinking it is all about saving the sea turtles in a Greenpeace sort of way. I've seen many stunned faces when they see the menu in the snack bar and read the literature.

Closed Thread

Tags
alabama, aruba, bus, cayman, caymans, farm, farming, farms, grand, hell, menu, review, reviews, turtle, turtles