Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Would love to hear from someone that has done the rainforest tour. Is it worth it?

Cate M.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Well that will depend of what kind of tour you are looking for I can tell you this is mostly for the active people, walking etc. but it have a beautiful history and views you can even find out about the OVNI and UFO factor in the area...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM

We did the rainforest tour several years ago and found it to be worth the price. We had a great driver/guide that was very informative, not only of the tour but gave us lots of info along the way to the rainforest about the areas and things we saw. We had booked thru the cruiseline.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM

We did the post-cruise ship's tour in March of 2009. Our driver was dangerous and talked nonsensically. I am not a physician, but if I were to guess I would say this quite elderly man suffered from Parkinson's disease. We were told that we would be returned to the airport by 1:30. We arrived at 3:30 and 6 of the people on the tour had 4 p.m. flights--2 of these had international flights. We only made our flights at all because at the second stop we refused to get off the bus, as a group, and forced the driver to turn back to San Juan. He had driven between 18-21 miles an hour all the way to the rainforest area. We had vehicles backed up behind us for perhaps a mile and a half (we cruised at about 45 mph on the return trip--conditions or speed laws did not dictate the erratic and extremely slow trip). We all had motion sickness and headaches and anxiety about reaching the airport. RCCL (thankfully) refunded 50% of this experience after many many phone calls. We were told that tours offered through the ship are for the convenience of their guests and are in no way guaranteed by RCCL or vetted by them for quality. They merely reserve the right to cancel tours with a vendor they get too many complaints about. The rainforest was lovely and I would love to see it some other time, but will probably never do a post-cruise tour again in the wake of this near disaster. The rain forest is a goodly distance from both the cruiseport and the airport. With one direct flight from San Juan to Minneapolis daily I will not chance missing it again. It was also a good education in what kind of protection you get when booking through the ship.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM

My husband & I are back from our Caribbean cruise. We regret signing up for the rainforest tour. It was just a tour through the city by bus, to what is supposed to be a rainforest and a couple of stops. No commentary, did not see any type of animal or bird - only one butterfly. At one stop we climbed up a flight of stairs to look at the top of the forest canopy. Bus driver spent most of his time on cell phone. Most of us on bus agreed to lodge complaint. When we did there was someone from another bus on the same tour that was ticked off with tour as well. We ended up getting back 30% of the cost of our tour.

Cate M.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Wow, sorry to hear about that tour..I know that the one we did was very well done and we were able to take in lots of flora and fauna and got great info and guided through the area with our driver that was very knowledgable about everything.

Peterl

Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 AM
Sorry to hear that actually is a surprise for me I don't remember a Bus tour, mostly canpy and things like that maybe is not the same tour...

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, celebrity, cruise, distance, drive, excursion, forest, juan, port, post, rain, rainforest, review, reviews, san, tour