Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:44 AM

Hi All!

Can anyone give me the rundown on taxis for these ports??

This is our plan....any input on how to make it easier is appreciated!

Jamaica...no shore excursions...we are taking a cab from the ship to Doctors Cove Beach to hang out for the day. I have read to make deals with the cabbies for a round trip fare....and not to pay until they take you back to the ship...I just almost would seem impossible to find the same cab driver going and coming back! How do you do this and ensure it is the same cabbie?

In Grand Caymen....we are doing a private shore excursion and afterward the company said they would drop us off at the beach and we could cab it back or take a shuttle (or something of that sort) Any input on doing this or anyone ever done that before?

In Cozumel...we are cabbing it to Paradise Beach for the day to swim and snorkle. We need a cab there and one back. Does the same method apply as above for Jamaica? I need answers!!! I am worried about paying $4-$6 getting to the beaches....but with the cabbies knowing we HAVE to be back at the ship...I don't want them raping us for some ludacrous amount to get us back! (this happened to a friend of ours)

Any input or past experience expertise would be wonderful.

We leave in three days for Galveston.

Thanks!

Christy
Old 07-12-2006, 05:44 AM

Hi All!

Can anyone give me the rundown on taxis for these ports??

This is our plan....any input on how to make it easier is appreciated!

Jamaica...no shore excursions...we are taking a cab from the ship to Doctors Cove Beach to hang out for the day. I have read to make deals with the cabbies for a round trip fare....and not to pay until they take you back to the ship...I just almost would seem impossible to find the same cab driver going and coming back! How do you do this and ensure it is the same cabbie?

In Grand Caymen....we are doing a private shore excursion and afterward the company said they would drop us off at the beach and we could cab it back or take a shuttle (or something of that sort) Any input on doing this or anyone ever done that before?

In Cozumel...we are cabbing it to Paradise Beach for the day to swim and snorkle. We need a cab there and one back. Does the same method apply as above for Jamaica? I need answers!!! I am worried about paying $4-$6 getting to the beaches....but with the cabbies knowing we HAVE to be back at the ship...I don't want them raping us for some ludacrous amount to get us back! (this happened to a friend of ours)

Any input or past experience expertise would be wonderful.

We leave in three days for Galveston.

Thanks!

Christy
Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 AM

In most every port we've been in you can make a deal with the drivers, and they will be there to pick you up. We always take a little extra money with us, just in case we have to get another cab. Sorry to hear about your friends getting ripped off, but so far when the drivers say they'll be there, they are. It's fierce competition for the drivers to make a living. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:04 AM

We were in Cozumel in May & took a taxi to Paradise Beach for $12 one way. Different taxi brought us back for $12...but, the rates are posted on a big sign at the taxi station, so they are not over charging. We had a blast at Paradise, you will love it..very relaxing, excellent food, and great service. Hint: give your server their tip directly, as they only make about $6/day in salary, what way they are for sure to get the entire tip and not just part of it. If you have not looked yet, get a great review of Paradise at www.paradise-beach-cozumel.net and have fun!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 AM

Christy,

When we sailed to St Thomas on Carnival. We paid taxi driver to take us to private beach and he assured us he would be back at a certain time to get us back to ship on time. Well, after waiting 20 minutes and he still was not there, we hailed another driver and barely made it to the ship on time. We had already paid 1st driver, so I would go with the driver and pay him upon picking you up for your return trip to make sure he comes back for you. That is always my greatest fear is missing the ship!
Good luck, and have a gret trip. We have booked a 10-07 Western cruise with C. Princess we are looking forward to.

Gil

Closed Thread

Tags
back, beach, caymen, cove, cozumel, cruise, doctors, excursion, grand, jamaica, port, shore, taking, taxi, taxis