Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 AM

Hi, we'll be cruising in February and have a stop in those two islands. We are wondering what is there to do near the port, and what is the best beach to go to. We are not planning any organized or private tours.
Any suggestions is welcome.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 AM

In Barbados we do the Tiami catamaran sail/snorkel. The ships are immaculate and the crews are great. They take you to a snorkle with the turtles and then to a beach for more snorkeling or swimming or relaxing on the cat and having a few rum punches. Last year we went to Pigeon Island in St. Lucia, great beach, snorkeling wasn't that good, but the view from the top of the old fort was beautiful. I'm sure others will have more suggestions as well. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 PM

St. Lucia is awesome. You can take a "booze cruise" catamaran and sail to the base of the pitons. There, the snorkeling is very rewarding offering views of many colors. Guys will paddle little canoes out to the catamaran and sell you conch shells to take home as souvenirs. Or you can buy a day pass to one of the Sandals resorts and just hang out in the all-inclusive paradise. One of the Sandals resorts of St. Lucia has a beautiful 9-hole golf course where you can rent shoes, a cart, and clubs. Beware, free liquor and driving a golf ball do not always go hand in hand.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Thank you both for your reply. I can't wait to be there...
Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 AM

In Nov 07 we will be at St. Lucia one day on our cruise. I have only cruised one other time and one port was Grand Cayman. We didn't purchase a shore excursion, but it was easy to get a taxi and take a short ride to the beach - restaurant and bathhouse, but no chairs. I'm interested in knowing more about the Sandals one day pass. At the port, are there safe taxi's to take you there, do purchase the pass as a shore excursion, or when you get to Sandals. I would appreciate any advice. Same thing for Barbados. I've been there, but not on a cruise. I may not want to sightsee or snorkel, etc. at every port, but would like to go to the beach. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 AM

I've not done Sandals, but I'm sure you can google it and find out information on-line. There are plenty taxis available in both Barbados and St. Lucia.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 PM

When we got off the ship in Barbados, we went to the info booth and said we wanted a beach that we could snorkle at that had some shade, a bathroom and was not overly crowded! They sent us to Folkstone Underwater Park. It was perfect! LOTs of snorkeling! Coral paths, they even have a small office there for snorkeling, scuba and some boats come in if you want to do some tours. Our DH's went snorkeling and we snorkeled for sea glass (which we bought home and made stepping stones for our gardens)! Bathrooms with showers, changing rooms, food, drinks, etc. It was heavenly.. I would send some pictures, but not sure how to!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks Yankedog and welcome to Cruise-chat!We've not tried Folkstone Underwater Park, but may do that the next time we go to Barbados. It'll be hard to pass up the Tiami cats, they are so much fun, but maybe I can talk my hubby into it.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:20 PM

I wonder if Dr Livingston would be so kind as to give us the name of the tour operator who does the "booze cruise" to the base of the Pitons, with snorkeling.....on Ste-Lucie?? We will be there for a day in early December....is snorkeling good there year-round? Many thanks for your help.

Closed Thread

Tags
barbados, catamaran, day, golf, pass, sail, sandals, tiami, turtles