Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2003, 06:47 AM

Thanks for all the comments...this was certainly a balanced discussion, wasn't it? One of the things we most enjoy about travel, is that we have the opportunity to contine to learn what we enjoy...and what we don't. Because we "take some risks...though always safety in mind" by going off the beaten path, we have had some disappointing situations...but mostly some of our greatest memories are of unexpected treasures we've encountered. I don't enjoy pushiness either, in ANY location but through business and personal travel experiences, I have become effective at firmly, but with a smile, saying "no", while walking away. They usually move along to the next potential (victim?) I am truly looking forward to seeing Cozumel for the first time. If we love that day - we could always consider returning for a longer visit. If we hate it...well, back to the ship, and we never have to return! Sounds like a good situation to me. I'll think through the options, and consider all the dialogue on this site. And, I truly thank you all for taking the time to assist me. We are so looking forward to getting away for something "different...." (careful what I wish for, huh?!?)
txtraveler
Old 03-17-2003, 10:51 PM

We spend two weeks in Cozumel in NOvember and stayed at the Playa Azul hotel (PARADISE)
When we cruise to Cozumel in April we are jumping into a Taxi and heading out there again. It is wonderful, we are able to snorkle, sunbath, eat great food, and not have zillions of people around. There is a public beach there as well.
This is for those folks who want to forget that there are lots folks struggling for bargains and food places in the Town of San Miguel.
Just a suggestion.
Marjorie
Old 03-18-2003, 05:32 AM

Thanks! I'm appreciative of your suggestions, and I know you're excited about returning to PARADISE! We are VERY excited!
txtraveler
Old 05-01-2003, 05:58 AM

Ross- Sounds like you have a lot of good advice.. Did have a question for you..

My sister was in Cozumel earlier in the year and she and her husband rented those motor scooters and rode them around the island.. I do remember seeing them quite a bit when I was there last in '99. I will in Cozumel again in about 2 weeks and wanted to see how you felt about these scooters. Are they a good way to see the island? My sister loved it, but I just wonder how you can park them and go in shops, restaurants, beaches, etc... Couldn't they be easily stolen??

Hope to hear from you soon!

Luke in NC
Old 05-01-2003, 12:40 PM

Luke, I would take a pass on renting a motor scooter at this time in Cozumel. Once a sleepy little village full of charm, Cozumel has grown into a bustling community with heavy traffic and an element of chaos. The changes during the past 24 months are staggering. We were there on the Norwegian Sun in February and I was dumbfounded by the growth, but then with the move towards homeland cruising because of the terrorism and the war in Iraq, there are only so many ports to go around. On the day we were in port there were a total of 13 ships (docked and anchored) visiting Cozumel. I calculated that the capacity of the various ships to be around 24,500 passengers all in port at the same time. It was crowded and hectic

However, I found that a simple "no gracias, amigo" said with a smile to be sufficient to stop street vendors in their tracks. Ditto for the guys trying to get you into their stores. Mexicans are a very respectful people and only respond rudely when insulted, so if one experiences rude behavior from locals in Cozumel, they have to look at their own demeanor first.

I have taken many groups over the years to Cozumel on cruises and on three separate occasions I have had group members involved in motor scooter accidents. When this happens, the ship will not assume any responsibility nor are they bound to provide medical care. This is something to seriously consider before renting one. One gal, after drinking a few beers, slid out on loose gravel and scraped herself from head to toe. She managed to make it back to the ship and while the doctor treated her, the bill was huge.

Just my two cents worth, have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 05-01-2003, 03:00 PM

Tom, Thanks for the reply! We'll be sailing on the Grand Princess on May 18... My sister seemed to love the motor scooters, but I'll have to consider your advice. If I were to use one, how would I "park" it when going in places? Can't they be easily stolen?

Luke
Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 AM

Hi Ross,

My husband who is wheelchair bound and I will be in Cozumel on Tues, June 3 aboard Celebrity's Galaxy. I would appreciate any info you could give me as to possible tours that would be feasible for us. Thank You.
Carol
Old 05-03-2003, 06:12 AM

Do not rent a scooter here on the island. They are not well-maintained, driving here in town is complicated, and even if you are sober and know how to drive a motor, that doesn't mean everyone is/does. We have numerous accidents every week involving locals and tourists alike. In some cases those accidents are fatal. Spend a few more bucks and rent a car.

As far as tours with someone who is wheelchair bound, that's a tough one to answer without knowing what you are both interested in.

If you would like, please email me personally with some information about your interests and we can see what we can come up with.

rossincozumel@yahoo.com

Ross

Closed Thread

Tags
activities, cozumel, cruise, port, rent, reviews, scooters, sports, water