Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM

Hi, Has anyone ever been here and do you have any advise on things to do or how safe this port is? I think we are only going to do an excursion off of the ship because of Colombia not being safe. I don't think its such a good idea for us to walk around town by ourself. We will be in port for like 12 hours but all the excursions are like 3-4 hours. That is a bummer because I don't want to get on the ship 8 hours before we pull out. Any info on this port would be great! Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 AM

We were just there last week & having been there before we didn't see anything of interest to tour. The port only has 1 building with some shopping & unless you do a tour there's not much else. Once you walk through the building there are a bunch of cabs waiting to load people. I walked off to take a few photo's of the trees & there were cab drivers on the road willing to negotiate for business. I don't know if their any cheaper or not but 1 guy wanted $40 for 2 people for the whole day. Again there isn't much of anything at the port to see & we weren't interested in seeing the city again.
There's a large bird cage with parrots & a few other birds behind the shopping terminal & you can walk by & feed the parrots but watch out for the Toucan because he's a biter. [IMG:left] [/IMG]
He'll let you get close to feed him through the fence but he'll grab you finger & his beak is sharp. I found out the hard way. The parrots were gentle & would eat out of your hand.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Depends on what you are interested in
There is the Fort, El Popa (monestary) with a great view, the old town, and of course the emerald shopping.

I would do a ship's tour, there was some shopping at the dock but not a lot there
If you like coffee buy some beans/ground coffee to take home ..go past the Juan Valdez stand to the shops for better prices or if you go to town shop there.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012

Closed Thread

Tags
call, cartagena, cartegena, colombia, columbia, cruise, forum, lines, marta, port, portreview, ports, reveiws, review, santa, shopping