Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Hello,
One of the cruises we're thinking of booking goes to grand cayman, cozumel, belize and roatan hondruas. I think we're going to do one or two scuba trips. Any suggestions which would be the best to book a scuba tour at?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't know the best of those but we just went snokeling in Belize and it was absolutely amazong- I'm sure the snorkeling trips are even better.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM
I only snorkel but everyone always tells me that Cayman is one of the best dice spots around.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 12-28-2007, 01:05 AM

I only snorkel too. I know Cayman and Cozumel are really nice.

Hopefully Penny will see this. I know she is a diver and always has great advice.

Dwayne
Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Kristle,

All of those places offer decent scuba diving. If it were me, I would leave out Grand Cayman because of the high fees for diving, the damage done by the hurricanes and, unless you are on the other side of the island, the dive sites can have as many as 200-300 divers from the cruise ships. Plus ...sharks are very rare around Grand Cayman. Maybe.. just maybe a nurse shark..which is not really a shark in my mental dictionary.

The other places are all reasonably priced. I would not expect to be able to do the best diving at any of the locations - when they find that you are a cruise ship person (and they will), you automatically get placed in a beginners cattle boat regardless of how many C cards you have or even if your name is Coustou. The only way around this is if you have a personal relationship with the dive operators from years of diving.

Book the trips your self and save a major bundle. Booking through the cruise line will cost you 2-3 times as much. Yes, you are guaranteed that they will wait for you in the event of a delay..but you are on vacation looking for adventure anyway right? he he! No seriously, you will be back in time. Save the money and dive for several days.

Cheers.

J
Old 12-30-2007, 11:15 AM

Thanks for your help everyone. I went up a guy at my dive shop and he also said cayman would be expensive. He said that Belize has a couple nice dive sites, but not in Belize city which is where our ship was docking. Belize city typically goes to the "blue hole" apparently which is boring in his opinon, he also said to be careful and not go to far from the dock in Belize city for safety reasons, any opinons on that? So i've decided definetly to do a dive in Honduras and proably Cozumel. Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:08 PM

Definitely dive in Cozumel. You have to experience the Palancar reef. Make sure you venture into the caves.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, review, scuba, valor