Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 05:21 PM

We will be on the Valor going to W. Caribbean in July. I have read on several posts of ships not being able to dock at Costa Maya due to rough water. Does anyone know if this is generally typical of certain times of the year or if itís just luck all year long? Also, we are hoping to go to the ruins and Iím concerned of reserving through a private company instead of through Carnival. This will be our first cruise and I am just trying to cover all the bases. Any and all comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 PM

Hi - we're going on the Grand Princess to Costa Maya in December and we are scheduled to dock there. We're tendering in Cozumel and Roatan Honduras, though due to the fact that they're still working on port repairs from last year's hurricanes. Some smaller cruise ships are actually able to dock but not the larger ones at this point. I'm also not comfortable reserving "outside" the cruise lines for shore excursions and it's my 7th cruise. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:03 AM

While often times I suggest that cruisers do it on their own, if you plan to see the ruins from the port in Costa Maya - I would stick with Carnival's offerings. The infra-structure in that area is not the best for tourists and with the distances that are involved getting to and from the ruins, I would not want to take the risk of missing the ship.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-03-2006, 11:56 AM

Hi,
When we visited Costa Maya in 2003, I would not have associated it with "rough water" as Phildav stated. Of course with all the hurricanes, the coastline is probably totally different now. If it is a tendered stop now, wow, it may be a long tender ride. It was a LONG tram ride from the Radiance to the shops as it was.

Valor 10 01 06
Sovereign of the Seas 3/04
Radiance of the Seas 11/03
Majesty of the Seas 5/03
Adventure of the Seas 10/02
Majesty of the Seas 6/02
Sovereign of the Seas 11/01
Explorer of the Seas 10/01
Carnival Paradise 10/00
Carnival Fantasy 1/98 ~ New cruisers are Born!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CRUISEMAMA:
Hi - we're going on the Grand Princess to Costa Maya in December and we are scheduled to dock there. We're tendering in Cozumel and Roatan Honduras, though due to the fact that they're still working on port repairs from last year's hurricanes. Some smaller cruise ships are actually able to dock but not the larger ones at this point. I'm also not comfortable reserving "outside" the cruise lines for shore excursions and it's my 7th cruise. Hope this helps.
Hi CruiseMama,
Would you happen to be going on Dec 2 out of Galveston?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 08-08-2006, 08:51 PM

Hi BayouLady - we are going out of Galveston on the Grand Princess December 2 - I just can not wait!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
10, carnival, coasta, costa, dates, december, docked, docking, honduras, july, maya, port, rica, tendered, weather