Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Hello Everyone!
We are doing NCL Pearl in March, going Western this time. We have never been to Belize or Roatan before and from what I have read, it seems that perhaps booking a shore excursion through the ship may be the safest and best option on these two ports. To anyone who has been, would you agree? We have done Chitzen Itza and Tulum so we really don't want to do ruins on this trip and we aren't into heights so zip line is out! Any comments would be welcome and Thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM

I would never do anything on our own in Belize. In Roatan, we were there last month, the taxi services doesn t rent the taxis like they do in America, you rent the taxi for the day. This is what I would recommend you to do. We had the taxi for the whole day for 50 dollars for 2 people. they charge more for more people, dont know why but they just do. but it was the best deal for the money.
We wanted to go by and drop off some school supplies and over the counter medicine that we had brought with us to donate. We had the taxi take us to drop the supplies off then asked the driver to drive around and show us his island. and it was a wonderful tour....absolutely wonderful. We finally ended up at the beautiful beach where we spent a couple of hours and the taxi driver was right with us the whole time. Best time for our money.
they said 75 dollars for the whole day, i said no 50 they said ok.....so always neg the price. but remember you have them for the whole day...we also tipped our driver very well..and we took our driver a couple t shirts and bb caps. when we got us a soft drink we bought him one too. also when we got something to eat we got him something too..it is cheaper then the ship to do it this way and was absolutely safe. We are 2 women and and no time did we feel uncomfortable.
best way to do Roatan in my opinion. A beautiful island but very poor, but getting better with the tourist dollars coming in.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Thank you so much! That is great information.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 AM

Hi Queen B, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I don't know if you like snorkeling, but Belize and Roatan are two great places to snorkel. The water is crystal clear and the sea life/coral is fantastic. We did both snorkels through the ship and had a great time. Best wishes on your up-coming cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Thanks Penny! I love snorkelling and will definitely consider this!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 PM

queen i would recommend the snorkeling too. run by a dept store (walmart, target ect) and pick up some snorkel equipment. thats where we got ours. I have a life vest because i am not a swimmer. (know just enough to get myself in trouble) and fins and snorkel tube and face mask. but really if you are a good swimmer all u need is a mask and tube.
I seem to do better most times with out the fins...except that one time in grand caymans where the current kept pushing me away...glad i had the fins then....
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

I was just wondering about snorkeling as well. We are headed to Roatan and wanted a good snorkeling spot. Any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:27 AM

carnival offers a tabayana beach break it takes you to tabayana beach...but its like 35 dollars and really all you get is a ride to the beach. take a taxi see the island then ask your driver to take you to the public beach right beside tabayana beach. then snorkel to your hearts content..absolutely beautiful
Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 AM

We did a catamaran sail/snorkel through Costa. It was fantastic. We were on a 85' live aboard catamaran. They took us to a reef that was around the point. We were the only snorkeling group there. There were about 20 of us on the excursion. The water was crystal clear, the sea life abundant, the coral was not mangled by divers, and the crew on the catamaran were very nice. I'll try macmom's suggestion the next time we're there, hopefully soon. I really enjoyed Roatan.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM

We were in Belize on July 23 & Roatan on July 24-2008
Well we totally enjoyed ourselves in both Belize & Roatan. We booked our shore excursions through the Carnival website and though we probably paid a few dollars more than local, you run the risk of some excursions filling up fast if you wait. In Belize we went on the City tour and also the Airboat adventure. Definitely an eye opener for all of us,the semi poverty side of town on the way out and the definitely poverty side of town on the way back in.The Airboat adventure was very interesting and thrilling, we got to see some manatees feeding and as well alot of different birds and eco tropical plants etc. Imagine yourself seated in a flat bottom boat with 11 other people, ear protection on your head and at the back of the boat is a very powerful 450hp engine, that is very capable of moving the boat through the water at a very high speed. The operators of the boat are very capable drivers and give everyone a thrill ride.
In Roatan we had booked a tour for the Animal refuge where we actually saw a varietyof parrots, tucans etc. The highlight wasof course the spider monkeys that love to be petted and given alot of attention. They will actually come down and sit on your shoulders and allow you to pet them. WARNING: remove your had, jewellery and anything shiny including any cans of sunscreen or you will lose them to the little critters-lol. They love pop and have nop particular flavor, they have hands and fingers like us and are very capable of unscrewing the caps.And some of them have a wicked pitch as well.

Overall the shore excursions were very well priced,and narrated. We would definitely go back again only this time with our kids. Hope this helps with the info for shore excursions.

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, cruises, day, hire, island, kids, line, lining, port, queen, roatan, safest, snorkeling, taxi, tube, zip