Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Ok, dont kill me But I've been looking into things to do on St. Thomas and I'm coming up empty.
I know theres Trunk Bay and Magens Bay...but other than those beachs, what else interesting is there to do?
Blackbeards Castle doesnt sound appealing.
We're going to do the Skyride up to Paradise Point...but then what?
Any suggestions of fun things to do would be greatly appreciated (We're of the slightly younger generation)
I'll be there on my birthday and I want to have fun!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator

To be honest, St. Thomas has never wowed me. Last time I was there I never left Havensight. I bought a couple t-shirts in the pier side mall, had an ice cream cone, and went back aboard for the remainder of the day.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM

I wasn't thrilled with Megan's Bay, but I did like the walk down the 99 steps from Blackbeard's to the flea market at the bottom...some store makes free rum punch on that route. Exciting? ... not really, but a nice change-of-pace. If you like shopping, that outside market has some great deals.

Trunk Bay is our next stop....still looking at estimated costs for taxis/ferrys.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Snorkeling at Coki Beach is amazing!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 AM

We always enjoy taking a taxi to Mountain Top for the best Banana Daquiri ever. You can relax and enjoy your drink while veiwing St. Thomas from high up. The view of Megans Bay is great. There are shops there, have purchased a few things while there. Coki Beach is very nice. I usually spend a few bucks at my favorite jewelry store in town. Just enjoy whatever you do there it's a slower pace than home.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 AM

You're probably not going to have enough time to do it all anyway. Going over to St. John and Trunk Bay is a lot of fun for me, the "open air" (back of a pick-up) taxi ride through the Park is a hoot! Heck, I barely make it back in time to go up the mountain for a Bushwhacker sometimes. I guess it is one's own idea of fun.

Dwayne
Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 AM

Can you tell me the best and cheapest way to get there from where the ships dock?

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
You're probably not going to have enough time to do it all anyway. Going over to St. John and Trunk Bay is a lot of fun for me, the "open air" (back of a pick-up) taxi ride through the Park is a hoot! Heck, I barely make it back in time to go up the mountain for a Bushwhacker sometimes. I guess it is one's own idea of fun.

Dwayne
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Bob- get where? Trunk Bay? or up the Mountain?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Bob- get where? Trunk Bay? or up the Mountain?
Trunk Bay. Our intention is to get there on our own, and try to be back on St. Thomas by 2PM so we have some time to shop.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 PM

2PM may be difficult to do.

To get to Trunk Bay you need to go from the cruise dock to Red Hook and take the ferry to St John. The ferry's run every hour (sometimes they run more often, but it depends on the day and the season.) So you walk to the end of the dock area, there will be many taxi drivers that will try to get you to get in their taxi. They will probably charge you in the range of $20 or may ask for a per person fee. Your other option is to go outside the dock area and cross the street (you can ask someone where the bus stop is) The local bus is a green truck with row seating in the back (covered) They charge $1 per person to take you to Red Hook. When one stops ask the driver if his route goes there... Its probably 20 minutes to get there once you are on the bus but you could wait a while for the bus. If you are in a hurry the taxi is more expense, but you can go as soon as you get to the taxis.

Once at the ferry station, you need to buy tickets and then get on the ferry. If you are lucky you won't have to wait long. The trip to St John's is about 20 to 30 minutes if I remember correctly. Then outside of the ferry station on St Johns you take another taxi to Trunk Bay. There is a constant flow of taxis to and from the bay so you can pretty much leave whenever you like. Just do the same trip in reverse to get back. Our return bus trip went the long way around to get back to the ship so they charged us $2 each for the return. You could also just grab a taxi back also. So total travel time assuming you are lucky and catch the ferry's, could be as short as 2 to 2.5 hours, so if you assume you have to wait, I'd throw another hour in there. So if you stay at the bay 2 to 3 hours and you get off the ship by 8:30AM you could be back by 2 to 2:30 to shop..

Hope that helps. You may be asking if its cheaper to do it this way. The answer is yes. Especially if you can take the bus on at least one leg of the trip. I took my family of four for about half of what the ships tour would have cost. Since you plan on being back so early you should not have to worry about missing the ship.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
st, things, thomas