Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Any suggestions what to do? Too bad about not being able to bring liquor on board....is that not where they make Bacardi??? Well we are there till 8:00 guess we can find a corner and enjoy a few rum & cokes before gettting back on the ship. Are there any nice beaches you would recommend? Bet they have good coffee.
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 AM

You can't bring liquor on board anymore? When did that change?
10/03 CCL Carnival Legend
07/94 CCL Ecstasy

Add me as a friend on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/avenger1971
Old 01-16-2007, 11:08 AM

You can bring liquor on board, you just can't consume it on board until the end of your cruise. The Bacardi factory tour is a fun tour, the Old San Juan tour is a good tour as well. The Condado beach section is a fun place. The locals go across the island to Ponce, but I don't know if you'd have time to do that. Have a wonderful time!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Avenger, do you know something you would like to share with me on how to get it back to your cabin from what I was told penny3333 is correct you can buy it but thy take it from you till the end...now what fun is that? Anyway I think I will totally enjoy the Bacardi tour, will that be offered on board or do you just do it on your own? We are in port till 8:00p.m. (I think) so maybe we will start off at Condado beach then take a tour. Guess it all depends on what time the tours go. Is there restaurant facilities at Condado Beach that we are able to use or do they have cover/entrance charge for us cruisers? Does anyone know of any Free access beaches in St. Thomas & St Martin? All we want is to just go to a beach and have a restaurant where we can purchase food & beverages.
Thanks
Leigh

TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 01-16-2007, 12:19 PM

HA HA! I've bought liquor at the Bacardi factory but didn't try to bring it back. However, I was reading another forum that was posted a couple of days ago on how to sneak liquor in and someone suggested buying those empty clear shampoo bottles they sell at places like Target and filling them. I'm not sure if it works but someone has mentioned it. I'll check the forum and report back to you on that. I was able to book the tour through from the ship, I was on Carnival at the time but I assume it's the same with Royal Carribean, I got the trip along with a tour of Old San Juan which was nice. As far as the beach, I'm not sure, I've never been there. If you like to have fun I suggest eating at Senior Frogs. It's a good time, depending on what you're looking for though.
07/94 CCL Ecstasy

Old 01-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Check out liquor policy under Cruise Ships/Royal Carribean, you can see it there.
07/94 CCL Ecstasy

Old 01-16-2007, 08:01 PM

I love senior frogs so I will look for it while in San Juan. Thanks avenger. Also I don;t think I need to read the alcohol policy its pretty more NO LIQUOR carried on board. Oh well here comes a high bar bill.
Leigh

TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 01-16-2007, 08:37 PM

For beaches, go to the Condado and walk through the hotel but avoid having anything on you that marks you to a cruise line and walk out the other side on to the beach.

You can also take a taxi to Isla Verde which is about five miles farther east and there are lots of hotels with good beaches. Keep in mind these are Atlantic waters so the sand can be kind of "dirty."

There are probably excursions that will take you to Luquillo beach in Fajardo which is quite a bit farther east past the Intl. airport.

If you do the Bacardi tour, taxi from there to Dorado beach and go to the Dorado Del Mar or the Cerro Mar hotels.

Be careful with public beaches where you can be robbed blind. Not to scare anyone but the crime in PR has accelerated by 800% in 10 years. (I did not add any extra zeros.)

To be safe, stay in the Condado, Isla Verde or go on the excursions and private beaches.

As for the Bacardi tour, you can really get your fill there and purchase some to be held until you disembark. Be sure and try 151 proof but don't light up at the moment. My experience has been that the ships shops tend to have excellent deals on liquor. I'm talking Jameson for $12.00 and Crown Royal for $ 10.00 so watch for the deals on board too.

Whatever you do in San Juan:
-Do not go to La Perla, a small village of shacks below the cemetary by fort of El Morro.
-Do visit the restaurant, "El Meson" and have a Cubano sandwich. It is like Puerto Rican fast-food but really well done. The crab sandwich would be excellent too!

Have a great time in PR!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM

Wow thats a good piece of info Chef Ken, thank you. I wasn't aware of the crime and am glad yo made me aware of this as we are travelling with teens. I think we will stay in Condado Bch area, where is the senior frogs? Any suggestions on St Thomas or St Martin?
Thanks
Leigh

TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Leigh,

I think St Marten is a beautiful port. There is a public beach within site of the pier. There will be peddlers that will want to sell you a spot with chairs and Umbrella. Make you own decision if you want to rent it, it wasn't a bad price as I recall and then they sort of watch out for you. Behind you as you look at the ocean are many little food/beer places, and just a little way in are restrauants. I wish I could remember where we had lunch it was good. It coul be difficult to find a place to change into swim cloths, I like to buy an umbrella from someone attached to a bar on the beach and then they don't object to your using the bathrooms. We used "Everything Cool" but they were out of business last time we went.

Closed Thread

Tags
bacardi, board, carnival, cruise, cruises, factories, good, juan, life, liquor, night, reviews, san, things, tours