Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 AM

As a philatelist I will mail postcards from my next cruise but what about Labadee? I suppose there's no post office there? Has anyone succeeding in mailing anything with Haitian stamps from there? I can bring with me both Haitian postcards and stamps but I need them cancelled. I suppose paying some of the local staff to mail them for me is one way but that's a risk. Anyone with experience of this? Thank you!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

Labadee is a private resort with no post office. Guests are not allowed to leave the property.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 PM

Since nobody could answer my question I will answer myself after my visit there. On the wall of the Artisan's Market it says: Postcards and stamps. They sold lots of postcards from all over Haiti but for stamps they directed me to the Site Manager. His building is next to the market towards the pier. The manager has a mail service because he occasionaly gets such requests. He charges 2$ to USA and 3$ to the rest of the world for taking mail to Cape Haitien and mailing it there with Haitian stamps. Due to the cost this is obviously only for philatelics but the service works and my postcards arrived to destinations in South America, Asia and Europe after about three weeks. Labadee postcards are also for sale on the boat Freedom of the Seas.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 AM

I decided to visit the APS(American Philatelic Society) website. Out of curiosity, if you guys are so big into stamps and postage, why is it that one of the first links on your website promotes the paying of membership dues using an online service?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The manager has a mail service because he occasionaly gets such requests. He charges 2$ to USA and 3$ to the rest of the world for taking mail to Cape Haitien and mailing it there with Haitian stamps.
Thanks for the update. I learned something new! It never occurred to me that someone who worked at Labadee would do the leg work - albeit as a side business to his official duties.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 AM

I can only agree with you drlivingston. It's a good point. Unfortunately I can't answer your question as I live in Europe and am not a member of APS.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:12 AM

That must be very intersting. I saw a stamp that actually played a cd on tv. There are some beautiful stamps around the world. What did the Haitian stamp look like?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 PM

I have several weird stamps. I have a group of four stamps my grandfather gave me that are 24 cent stamps with an upside down biplane. (just kidding, I was trying to make ubat salivate)
Old 12-15-2008, 03:05 AM

There are two identical 25 Gourdes stamps showing an open book on the postcard. 50 Gourdes is about 1,26$ so the people of Haiti won't send many Christmas cards to Europe.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 AM

That's interesting, gourdes. I wonder if years ago if gourdes were currency.

Closed Thread

Tags
haiti, haitis, labadee, logo, mail, manager, number, office, phone, post, postage, postcard, site