Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Hello
Anyone done the Reef Yucatan excursion in Progreso? I'm traveling with my husband & two teenage sons (13&16). Where do we go when we get off the boat to book this? I perfer to save money&book on my on. Can I book this trip online,but not with carnival?

Thanks
Laura
Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 AM

Hi bitsyb, welcome to Cruise-Chat. You can book any excursion you wish on your own. Just be aware the ship will not wait for you if you are not back in time. Also, you have no guarantee on your excursion if you book on-line with an outside vendor. If you can find the excursion you want on-line, then by all means, do so at your discretion. If you can't find them on-line, you can try to find them when you get to port. Best wishes for a great cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

It has been a couple years since we were there, but another thing to consider at Progreso is the ship is waaaaayyyy out from the shore with the dock being miles out into the Gulf. Quite impressive really, but it is a long haul that requires a taxi or bus - something you won't have to worry about with a ship's tour.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
We were there last year and yes, it's a LONG way to the mainland from the ship....and if I remember, only the excursions booked thru the ship were allowed to drive to the ship, but that could have change by now...There is nothing in Progresso to really see....I took the 2 hour bus ride to see Chichen Itza (the only reason I was on that cruise)....it was well worth the long ride...I would have never booked that myself....as Dave pointed out..The ship doesn't wait for anyone unless they've booked the excursion thru them...it does pay to spend the extra money and book thru the ship just for the piece of mind.....Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 02-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Can't you just get off the ship & wander without booking anything? I read somewhere that there are 'tram like vehicles' that take you from one end of the pier to the other. True?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
There is really nothing to see unless you book an excursion...Progresso is trying to develop, but when I was there nothing was done....and if I'm not mistaken, it's a few miles from the ship to the city....the pier is a long ways out in the water.....anyone else been there lately???

Unless you plan on booking an excursion, I would just stay on the ship:-)

Bob E
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AllyGirl:
Can't you just get off the ship & wander without booking anything? I read somewhere that there are 'tram like vehicles' that take you from one end of the pier to the other. True?
Have not been there for several years. They had shuttle type buses (free) for the ship to the end of the pier. They had a very inexpensive bus tour of the town on an open air bus for $1. We walked around and shopped after the tour and really enjoyed it as a cultural experience.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
book, cruise, excursion, excursions, fishing, forum, mexico, progreso, progresso, reef, reviews, ship, vendor, yucatan