Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Going to San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, and La Romana do you think we should have water shoes? Has anyone run into Jelly Fish? Or stepped on a sting ray? Are the beaches sandy or rocky? Input appreciated.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Hey baby doll, It is prolly going to depend on the beach you chose. Some islands have a calm side and a rough side. Most of the sand on St.Thomas and Barbados is fine. I do always take my water shoes though.

On the jellyfish, that is a strange thing at least to me. I have seen very few on the beach or while snorkeling in the caribbean. On my own beach I have to step over them in August.

Penny might have some more thoughts, as she is more experienced than I and is a diver.

I did startle a huge ray at Trunk Bay once walking out to put my fins on..I do the shuffle now while in the sand if I am the first one in.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:32 AM

Your itinerary sounds wonderful, and water shoes are always great to bring. They wont help you with a stingray, but they're great to have. San Juan-do the tour of Old San Juan or the Bacardi Factory tour. St. Thomas-take the ferry to St. John and a cab to Trunk Bay. There is awesome snorkeling about 50 yards off shore. The beach is beautiful, the water is warm and crystal clear, and there are all the facilities required. Dominica-DO NOT miss a catamaran/boat sail/snorkel to Champagne Reef. The BEST snorkel I've been on in the Caribbean. You snorkel over a volcano vent, and the bubbles make it look like you're in a glass of champagne. Abundant sea life. The Emerald Pool and Trafalga Falls are beautiful as well. Dominica is one of my most favorite islands. Barbados-Tiami catamaran sail/snorkel. LaRomana-we did a catamaran sail/snorkel through the ship and it was great. If they dock where the Costa Magica docked, it was not the mainland of LaRomana but Catalina Isle. The beach there was really nice, but there are local vendors trying hard to get you into their shops (and they're not cheap). The only rocky beach is in Dominica if you try to do Champagne Reef from the beach on your own. I DO NOT recommend that at all, do a boat dive. The only jelly fish we've had in great quantities was in Antigua and Martinique. We've never encountered them in the islands your visiting. Oh, San Juan has some nice beaches, but the side you'll be on is pretty rough just for swimming. The Condado section has some nice hotels with good drinks. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will pick up some water shoes. I just learned of the sting ray shuffle on beaches attack. (A doc on one of the discovery channels.) Guess they get you in the ankle or lower leg. I figured you guys would know. Penny do you think Trunk Bay is better than Megan's Bay? We already have marked the old town of San Juan and the rum factory as a must do, but no beach visit there. Dominica I was looking at the Aerial Tram and the Catamaran at La Romana, and the Powerboats at Barbados. ( hubby is a race car driver and loves speed.) Do most beaches use the colored flags like purple for jelly fish spotted? We snorkeled at Cancun off the reef and dummy me just swam around not even thinking of running into a jelly fish, and I knew they had them there. We dove off a boat so no flags there, but on the beach there were. My luck I would swim right into one.
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 05-24-2007, 04:47 AM

Not sure of the current names, but on Dominica do as Penny said..do the snorkel over the bubbles, it is something you will always remember. Megan vs Trunk? Trunk would be the hands down winner. I know was for Penny, but I like to see if she agrees sometimes
Old 05-24-2007, 06:22 AM

I haven't noticed flags on the beach, but like I said the only place we ran into an abundance was Antigua and Martinique there were some. I totally agree with IslandCruz, Trunk Bay wins hands down. Do the Aerial Tram and the snorkeling. Champagne Reef is honestly the best snorkel I've been on in the Caribbean, so far and we snorkel every port we visit, every time we go. Our 19th cruise is coming up in November and we've taken land trips to the Caribbean as well. We've been to Barbados 6 times, and taken the Tiamai catamaran/snorkel each time we were there, so can't help you on the speed boats. I can tell you that catamarans get up to some pretty good speed when the winds are right, the best thing is no engine noise. I don't know that you can go wrong with anything you do, but I can tell you DO NOT miss out on Champagne Reef in Dominica. Best wishes!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys. So to get to trunk bay you do it on your own? Is their directions to get there? You said to get on a ferry to St. John and then a cab to Trunk Bay? Is the ferry close to the ship? I'll go back in and check out the Champagne Reef tour cause you said it is so great. For one I want this, probably my last, trip to the Caribbean to the best. I thank you for your help. The flags are at most beaches. Yellow is undertow bad, red is don't get in the water at all, purple is jelly fish and there is a green one too, but can't remember what it was for, maybe it was for water is good for swimming. I'm into quiet and the wind in the face, but being a racer he loves the thrill of the motors and that means noise...its a man thing I think...for races it is I know for sure.
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 AM

There are no directions. If you leave from Charolette Amalie (which is where most ships dock), the ferry does not run as often as from Red Hook. You can walk to the Charolette Amalie ferry point, it's in the middle of the town area. The ferry runs from Red Hook every hour, but you'll have to take a cab there. The tickets are $6/pp (I believe). Once you land in St. John, there are tons of cabs waiting, just ask for one to Trunk Bay. The entrance there is $2/pp (I believe). We went in December, but memory fails me as to prices. I think they have prices listed on line. There may have been flags displayed on the beaches, I just never noticed any. I do hope this is not your last trip to the Caribbean, it's so beautiful there. Best Wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
barbados, caribbean, cruise, footwear, jellyfish, likelihood, ray, reef, running, shoes, snorkeling, st, sting, thomas, water