Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 AM

Whats the best way to go there & the cheapest??
Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Elaine09, I strongly suggest a ship's excursion in Jamaica. If you're intent on going on your own, do so with a group from the ship or try Shoretrips. Jamaica is a beautiful island, but a very poor island. It is one place I don't suggest going off on your own. You could get a cab at the port, but I really don't suggest it. Be sure to stay to the main tourist areas, say "no thank you" and keep walking. Best wishes!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM

I have been to jamaica 7 times I feel safe there the last time there we got a taxi. there was a couple male and female and we paid them less than what it was on the cruse ship .took us everywhere we wanted.I have all girls and they felt safe in jamaica than every other port of call.be safe like every else you would go there is crime everywhere
Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 AM
just be aware of your surrondings.. we were harrased alot when we got of the ship.people selling drugs and i eventually told them i was a cop just to get rid of them.. dunns river falls is a blast and you will never forget it as long as you live,, do the ship excursion though, myself i would never go on my own in jamacia

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Jamaica is a beautiful island, but a very poor island. It is one place I don't suggest going off on your own. You could get a cab at the port, but I really don't suggest it. Be sure to stay to the main tourist areas, say "no thank you" and keep walking. Best wishe

I agree!! Be aware of your surroundings. We did a ship excursion and even at that, we were constantly harrassed and even offered drugs in a strip mall!!!!

Aside from that, the Dunn Fall experience was super!!! Something to really try at least once!!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM

The "falls" are a unique experience; everytime we return with friends we always opt to go again as it is fun. We have always found that the people are very aggressive, don't take no for an answer and they appear from absolutely nowhere to hawk the wares and drugs.

Peterl

Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 PM

We went with the cruise excursion, and were still harrassed a bit from the locals. That being said, I would still go back again, and Dunn River Falls is not to be missed. But as previous posters have stated, Jamaica is a poor country, and high poverty doesn't always mix well with what some locals expect to be wealthy travelers.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Will standard flip-flop shoes work or will they tend to fall off?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Will standard flip-flop shoes work or will they tend to fall off?
That won't work at all.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Hi ChadS, welcome to Cruise-Chat. You are actually climbing up a waterfall, so flip flops will definitely not work. If you have water shoes, they're great. If not, you will need at least a good fitting pair of tennis shoes. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
cab, cruise, dunns, fall, falls, jamaica, port, rccl, review, reviews, river, ship, taking