Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 05:35 PM

hello eveyone,
i'd like to know a little more info (if this hasn't been told/asked before). sailing to cozumel in late april/may,last time i went did more shopping than sight seeing. would like to see the ruins or the beach. wanting to know exactly how long is the trip to the ruins,(approx time)both ways. where do you catch a taxi at to get to the ferry? i'm wanting to do this on my own(with a little knowledge behind me).if i don't do the ruins, which beach would be best to visit? ( mr sanchos or paradise?) thanks for any info ..

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned

Hi, and welcome to info galore.

You can use the "find" tab to search for keywords like: cozumel (over 900 hits), mexican ruins (only 18), enter the ruins your interested in...chicken itza you can climb on...tulum you cant, but it has a beach where you can swim and see the ruins in the backround.

you can get to these places by tour, taxi, bus, or collectivo. Each choice is a little less expensive and a little more adventurous than the last. Tours are packaged and pricey, cabs are negotiatable but also expensive, a bus is cheaper but you have to get to the bus station that has the route to tulum, a little spanish is helpful to find it. lastly the collectivo is very cheap, they are minivans they run from playa del carmen to tulum all day, they stop and pick you up...you see them flashing thier lights if they have room and sometimes you have to cram in with your stuff on your lap, but they only charge like $5-$7 for the 70 km trip south to tulum...a bargain carpool.. but risky if you have limited time and have to be back before your ship sails.

taxis are at every pier and at the ruins..ALLWAYS negotiate the price BEFORE you get in the cab!!! Time is tough with a 40 minute ferry from cozumel to playa del carmen, then another hour and a half to tulum. You could spend about 5 hours just getting back and forth...i dont know how long it take to get to chicken itza but they are north of cancun which is 40 minutes north of playa del carmen...which requires the same ferry ride. So you might be better off with a beach, wait until you stop at a mainland port closer to the ruins of your choice to visit them.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 PM

thanks wise2u,
i'll us ethe info you provided for the dealinds with the taxis. what i don't want to be is pressed for time/rushing just to make it back to the ship. like i said i'd like to do the ruins, but if not maybe hit the beach and eat. gg

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 PM

Chips,

There is a small but very interesting ruin on Cozumel island called San Gervasio. We went there on our last visit and really enjoyed it. It is not a tall temple like you see in the tourist pics, but gives a good idea of a residential area in Mayan times, with one small temple for Ixchel, their goddess of fertility. Taxi driver can take you there, but be sure to pay him a few extra to wait the hour it takes to tour. Then you'll know you have a ride back to town. There are tour guides for hire at the park gate.

From there you can go to any of the great beaches and have a pretty easy day of it. We will be in Cozumel again in five weeks and are trying to decide what to do this time. We've loved it every time (This makes four).

2004 - Fascination
2005 - Ecstasy, Elation
2006 - Sensation, Holiday
2007 - Fantasy, Glory
2008 - Holiday, Sensation
2009 - Fantasy, Valor, Glory
Coming up:
2010 - Monarch OTS

Closed Thread