Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 PM

We are booked on Enchantment of the Seas for Oct 8. One stop will be Cozumel. I saw that Royal Caribbean does tours to the Mayan Ruins, but their tours are about 6-8 hrs. How long of a drive are the "Ruins" from the cruiseport, and is there another way to see them such as hiring a cab? I would rather not take the whole day with a large group for sightseeing. I want to go see the "Ruins" take pics then leave, to get back to town, hopefully 4 hrs or so. Am I being totally unrealistic? Please help!!!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 PM

we ported at costa maya across from cozomel. we rented a car from enterprise for the day, it was right there at the port. It cost 40 dollars and we had to return it full of gas. We went to the talum mayan ruins. The people at the car rental drew us a map. It took us about 30 min to get there. I think it cost 2 american dollars to get in. We walked around at our own pace. They were awesome. But the heat coming off of the rocks and stones was very very warm. I was glad we did it the way we did it because we saw the ruins. and left, still had most of the day left with the car. we stopped at the roadside markets. it was the best adventure for the money...
Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 PM

macmom111.
Thank you for the info. So,$40 for car rental,$2 per person for entrance to the Ruins,about 30 min. drive each way, and just fill the gas tank, and we get to go our own pace? Wow! Thats what I'm looking for. If you think of any more info please let me know. Thanks again.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM

also I learned in Mexico....on a 4 lane highway which is what you will be on going to the ruins..if you are going to make a left hand turn. you dont do it from the left hand lane. you move over to the right hand lane wait till there is no traffic and cross all three lanes. I dont know who made the traffic laws in mexico but it works for them I guess. Got a few gestures before i realized i was doing it wrong. I know better now. Also at cozomel go to the national park Chanacanob. It is beautiful. It got hit with the hurricane but when we were there in Sept they were quickly rebuilding it should be finished by the time you go. That is I think 10 dollars. There are ruins there too.....have fun
Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 PM

macmom111,
Thanks again for more info about driving in Cozumel. Also, the Chanacanob park sounds like a good idea. Any more advice or info,greatly appreciated.
Kimberly

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 01-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Don't take the ship's tour! you will power ferry to the mainland from Cozumel--50 minutes of motion sickness (those 30 gallon garbage cans full of mops on the ferry aren't for looks! These ferries do not have the stabilizers you will have come to enjoy on your cruise ship)then march through the town (hot and fast) to your bus, driven cross country with a stop at a tourist market, get 2 hours at the ruins, and repeat the adventure in the reverse. The ruins are well worth seeing (amazing swimming beach there too--it gets really warm there!) but this was 4 hours of travel time to take it in--Cozumel is not on mainland Mexico--you have to ferry over and even under full speed this is 45-50 minutes, one way. We did the RCCL tour last year and am glad I tried it, but there has got to be a better way when you only have 8 hours in port.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-30-2007, 01:56 PM

I just reread some of the replies to your inquiry--I think I said this in my first reply, but you need to look at a map. Cozumel is and island and Tulum is on the mainland. You will not port where you can rent a car and drive to the ruins. Everyone should see them, and if the ship's tour is the only way to coordinate it I guess I was a bit harsh in my review about it and am glad I went--but I wanted you to be realistic about having time "in town" before or after--it will take the whole time, and you now have to allow time to tender from town to the ship (Wilma decimated the tourist peers) when figuring how long you can be gone and still make it--this tour will take your day in Cozumel if you decide to do it. laurie
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 PM

Okay, so now I'm really confused. Can I get to the Ruins at all by car or do I have to to ferry over? How do I get to see the ruins once I get off the ship other than booking a ship tour?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM

Ferry service runs from Cozumel to the mainland. I do not know the schedule or cost (anyone done this?). These are 200+ double-decker passenger power ferries and the ride is 45-50 minutes. You can catch them in town, which would mean ferrying to shore on Cozumel and taking a cab from the tourist pier that has been badly damaged where RCCL usually docks to the downtown pier and buying passage there. They go to the mainland, where you will have to rent your car and go--possibly a better option than the ship's tour bus where you lose your options to run your own time schedule and cut out the bathroom/tourist market stop enroute. However, the ferries may (ours did) pick you up directly from the ship for transit to the mainland cutting out the extra step you would have in ferrying across on your own--we did not have to go to the island of Cozumel at all to get to the mainland. You certainly can manage this on your own--didn't mean to imply it wasn't possible, but MacMom111 talked about renting a car and you are not porting on the mainland so you need the extra step of getting across. Loved the ruins and the beach there--have fun. Also RCCL tour did not allow time for peeking into any of the shops on the mainland you passed making hay getting to the bus which would have been fun. Laurie
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by macmom111:
we ported at costa maya across from cozomel.
Are you sure it was Costa Maya and not Calica? The reason I ask is that Calica is indeed directly across from Cozumel but Costa Maya is well to the south of Calica - a couple of hours by car.

Closed Thread

Tags
book, booking, costa, cozmel, cozumel, cruise, forumuse, map, maya, mayan, review, ruin, ruins, ship, tour, tours, visit