Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Is Antigua a stop that should not be missed on a first timer's cruise to the Caribbean? My husband and I agreed to go on an Eastern Caribbean cruise instead of a Southern one for our first cruise. We would rather cruise on the ship that doesn't stop at Antigua but I'm not sure it's worth the skip to go on bigger and newer ship. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 AM

Antigua is a beautiful island. Great views of the ocean and surrounding ship harbors (that are usually filled with beautiful sailing vessels)from Shirley Heights. I don't know what the excursions are on the island but I would hire a taxi driver to do a land tour with you. I think you will thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 AM

mell,

Part of the answer depends on why you chose the Eastern Caribbean instead of Southern Caribbean. If you chose Eastern Caribbean because of the ship, or because you want fewer port stops in the course of a week than you'd get on the more port-intensive Southern Caribbean itinerary, than I'd stick with your choice. If you have been to the Caribbean before on a land vacation, and really are making the ship your destination, then just plan to visit Antigua another time.

It may be more convenient (and cheaper!) to leave from Florida rather than San Juan. If that went into your decision as well, it's another good reason to stick with Eastern Caribbean.

Your itinerary also visits beautiful places, and since you can't hit the ports of the Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean all in a week's time, and you have to make some choices, go with the bigger, newer ship. I can almost promise you this first cruise won't be your last!

Sandy
Old 04-26-2008, 09:48 AM
well I have been on antigua and is as beautiful as Aruba, good prices, good food and for all I know worth the price. But let me ask you what soutern caribbean ship you will be on??
If you are taking Carnival(Destiny or Victory)the intense itinerary is great this summer I will take Carnival Destiny for last time my route will be
St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, st.Lucia, Antigua and St. Kitts for the $$$ is the best in my case since Puerto Rico is not a port for me since I live here so for me Antigua is a great place and not an option to be miss...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. Well we have it narrowed down to either Carnival's Freedom ship that stops at Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Antigua, and Nassau or Royal Caribbean's Independence ship that stops at Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Labadee. This will be our first cruise in January and plan to book next month. We just keep changing our minds. I like the Carnival itinerary because it seems to have a little of everything. But we do like the idea of being on one of Royal Caribbean's mega ships. Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:11 PM

I forgot to add that along with Puerto Rico, Nassau, St. Thomas, and Antigua, the Freedom ship stops at Tortola as well.

Closed Thread