Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Bermuda sightseeing (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/13742-bermuda-sightseeing.html)

kny 09-28-2008 09:16 AM

We are leaving for Bermuda sat and will have about 30 hrs in port, Kings Wharf. Can anyone tell me the best places to visit and the best transportation to use? I know the bus is the least expensive but will it be too time consuming? Thanks for your help.
Karen

LisaP 09-28-2008 09:28 AM

The short answer is that the bus is the easiest way around the islands. There is also a wonderful ferry system, yet that runs less frequently, but we still found it very convenient. Here are links to the ferry and bus routes. For the bus routes, use the map for the "Western areas." Verify the ferry times when you get there, in case they change in October.

As for best places to visit -- that depends upon your interests. Are you looking for beaches, history, architecture, nature/zoos, or something else? If it's a little bit of all of the above, what is the most important?

kny 09-28-2008 09:36 AM

Thanks Lisa..We like most things history architecture and nature mostly. I would love to SEE the prettiest beach/ pink sand but do not have to spend hours there...I am just afraid that I will miss something that is a "must see"..Ok the bus it is..

LisaP 09-28-2008 10:51 AM

For history, you won't have to wander far from your ship. The Bermuda Maritime Museum is right there... and a great place to learn the history of Bermuda, along with many artifacts.

You can also take the #7 bus or the ferry to Hamilton, transfer to the #11 for the aquarium and zoo. On the way back, the #7 bus runs by the South Shore beaches (where you'll find the pink sand), but you'll have to get off to see them. There's also the Botanical Garden which is beautiful, but I don't recall the bus that goes there...maybe the #1...but you should be able to find out at the bus station in Hamilton.

Or, maybe, instead of the aquarium and zoo, spend some time in St. George. The quickest way there is by ferry. There are many historical sites there, as well.

kny 09-28-2008 02:00 PM

Thank you so very much you were a great help..BTW I live in Mass too..

Cruise Fanatic 09-28-2008 02:51 PM

When I went to Bermuda in August 2005, St George did a re-enactment of a 17th century town dunking. Actors dressed up in period costumes and audience was involved. They performed it every day in the town square at noon.
You can get walking maps at the tourist bureau in Hamilton, and St George. Hamilton had a lot of historical museums and buildings on the walking map. Most were free to see.

penny3333 09-29-2008 07:46 AM

It's been years since I've been in Bermuda, but Horseshoe Beach stands out in my mind. It was absolutely beautiful. Pink sand, too.