Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 PM

Has anyone cruised the caribbean in September? We are planning on doing the Eastern Caribbean the second week of September, but was worried about it being hurricane season. Is it really a problem?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 PM

Has anyone cruised the caribbean in September? We are planning on doing the Eastern Caribbean the second week of September, but was worried about it being hurricane season. Is it really a problem?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 PM

I cruise every Sept, this one I'll be in Southern Carib. If the storm is directed at the port of departure around the day of your sailing, you're not going, at least not from there. Otherwise, no big deal. Once you depart the ship can cruise at approx twice the speed a hurricane moves across the water. They will steer you clear. They may change your ports for your safety but who cares. Have a great vacation!

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the great info. I feel better about booking that cruise now. What was your worst experience in September as far as hurricanes/weather? Do you typically miss at least one port?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:43 AM

I have been re-routed from western to eastern. It was no big deal for me. Caused some delay to get off the ship on St.Thomas because we had to do mid cruise immigration. We had to go to the Bahamas first to avoid another storm system. So technically when we went to St.Thomas we were re-entering the U.S.

Actually that happened mid October come to think of it.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I;m doing my first September cruise this year.

unless there is a storm in the Miami area that is.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 06-15-2007, 04:19 PM

I've never missed a port but was delayed arriving a couple of hours in Grand Cayman due to a wide sweep around a storm once. They could loose all the ports on some of my cruises and I wouldn't care. Just feed me and entertain for a week and I'm a pretty happy guy. I even like moderatly rough seas, at least at night. The subtle motion of the ship lulls me to sleep.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM

The only port we've missed was Grand Cayman in December (Christmas). The seas were too rough to tender in. We usually cruise in October-December time frame. Have not encountered any problems due to a hurricane, knock on wood!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Luvn2cruise,

Indeed, the hurricanes are present in September. We were scheduled on a Disney cruise to the Western Caribbean when Hurricane Wilma moved in. The hurricane actually made land fall before our cruise left and was heading to Key West. We still left and went through the outer band of the hurricane in Key West...what a ride!!They rerouted us to the Eastern Caribbean actually before we left. On our way back, another tropical storm moved in and that ride was even worse than the first because we actually rode through it! The ships are well built and believe me, they know their limitations and will not put you in harms way. Have fun!
Kelkel
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM

For the record, Hurricane Wilma developed in October 2005.

IslandCruz

Closed Thread

Tags
2015, average, caribbean, carribbean, cruise, cruises, disney, eastern, hurricane, hurricanes, rough, safe, seas, season, september