Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 AM

I've been to St. Kitts twice and will be back in January. This is alarming in that they targeted a tour bus and not just a stray visitor in a remote location.

For the entire article:
http://travel.usatoday.com/cru...on-st-kitts/131080/1

Otherwise here are a couple of paragraphs:

Two masked gunmen on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts held up a tour bus on the island's main road Sunday, robbing 16 cruise ship passengers from the Celebrity Mercury of their cash and cameras, authorities told the Associated Press. No one was injured.

Police say the passengers were traveling to the Brimstone Hill Fortress, a park popular with visitors. According to the AP, park manager Joseph Woodley told local radio that the robbers blocked the road with a fallen tree. When the bus driver got out to clear the way, they emerged from bushes and robbed the tourists before disappearing back into the woodlands.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 AM

Bob1958, this is terrible news. I really enjoyed St. Kitts as it was more of the "old time" Caribbean island, not as built up as some of the others. It used to be the locals there were VERY friendly and warm. I know hard times have fallen on every continent, but resorting to crime does not help. If the criminals only realized what they were doing to their island, but they don't. No one can afford negative press, espcially when your economy is totally dependent on tourism.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 AM

There are some reported gang-related activities on St. Kitts, so I'm suspecting it'll lead to one of them. In any event, these islands are almost entirely dependent upon tourists to survive, so not only must they have adequate policing but punishments should be swift and very severe in order to scare the rest of them straight. That may seem harsh but the alternative is that the cruise lines no longer stop, after which the island's inhabitants will suffer to no end.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 PM

On our very first cruise we stopped at St. Kitts and we did the ride up to Brimstone Fortress. If I remember correctly there are some magnificent views from that vantage point. We did enjoy the island and it was, at that time, very quaint and unspoiled.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM

I wonder if this was a carnival excursion, or a book your own. If it were a carnival excursion they should be responsible for the loss.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM

not carnival, celebrity... I am really tired up all night waiting for a grandbaby to make her entrance to the world.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM

I think Celebrity refunded the excursion fees, otherwise I doubt they're responsible for stolen cash and other valuables.

Is this your first grandchild?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Sorry, but I can't see how any cruise line would or should be responsible for losses due to criminal activity by local citizens not under the control of the cruise line.

If I take a cruise and it stops in Naples, Italy, a place renowned for pick pockets, should the cruise line have to reimburse me if my wallet is stolen?

The passenger assumes a great deal of legal liability as soon as they leave the ship - even if taking a tour they bought from the cruise line.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM

I was just wondering about it. seems to me that when the lady died in Belize on a carnival excursion (cave tubing) that carnival made an undisclosed settlement with the family. that is why I asked if it were a ship excursion would they be liable.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Macmom111, do you have your new grandbaby?

Tags
belize, bus, carribbean, cruise, excursion, gunpoint, held, island, kitts, reviews, robbed, st, stopped, tour, tourist