Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Hmm...well, I never saw anything in our RC book with the excursions about a tour of the factory, but a girl I work with told me to look into it. I went on the website and looked, but didn't see anything, either. I guess I was expecting it to be a tour of the factory. Whoops! Still, I think it would be a fun stop, and the samples are REALLY tempting me.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Georgi:

Don't be afraid of the String Rays: They are totaly harmless. They looked and felt like a giant Portabela mushroom, like the guy in the R.C. commercial on TV said. Actually, they feel even softer. Like a baby's bottom the size of a big pillow swimming by under water. They provide you with little sardine/anchiovy sized fish to feed them. You would hold the fish between your fingers and place your hand underwater. Eventually one of them will swim over your hand and suck up the fish.

When I was in Grand Cayman I also did the tour of the Cayman Turtle Farm and Hell. The Turtle Farm was OK...not great, but OK. Especially if you think little turtles are cute. Just be careful when you pick them up. If they start to panic and flap there flippers in a frenzy, don't get them too close to you. They are surprisingly strong and will really slap you silly.

I was not impressed with Hell. It is basically a tourist trap. It consists of red wooden shack gift shop in front, and the eroded coral limestone rock formation in back. The grey rock formations in back concievably resemble the flames of Hell. However, I grew up in Miami. So, looking at coral limestone rock does not thrill me at all.(dig just 3" below the ground in Miami and that's what you'll see).

Make sure to get some Tortuga Rum and Rum Cakes while you are there.

So, that's all I can think of at the moment. Have a good time on your cruise!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I have been on the tour of the rom factory. It was fun and yes, LOTS of free samples!!

When I went the turtle farm was part of the tour.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 04-24-2006, 07:47 PM

Frase- I think Stingray City sounds like SO much fun, but like I said, I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing my (chicken) boyfriend to do it. :P We'll see, though. I'm good at convincing. and Larry, lots of free samples= WOO HOOOOOO!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
address, bahamas, cake, cayman, cruises, distillary, factory, farm, grand, jeep, map, reviews, rum, tortuga, tour, turtle