Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Livetotravel, the best thing about snorkeling and diving is you can see what is in the water. Sharks usually attack early in the morning and late in the evening when they feed (dawn and dusk). There are sharks everywhere, but the Caribbean is usually less bothered. I would much rather be snorkeling than just playing in the water, especially if the waves are breaking on the shore. Try the snorkeling or the snuba first, it will give you such a wonderful view and I'll bet you'll be hooked. I've had hammerheads swim over me (in Pompano Beach, Florida) and seen plenty of sharks off the coast of Florida while diving. In the Caribbean I've only seen a few nurse sharks, lots of barracuda, but mainly beautiful reef fish and lovely coral. So far, the sharks have left me alone, and I haven't bothered them. Please give it a try, it's wonderful!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 AM

If you want to see sharks close to shore, just go parasailing at Gulf Shores, AL. It will make you think twice about swimming into the deep but I still do it. You are more likely to get struck by lightning than bitten by a shark. That being said, when my family lived in Hawaii, my brother was nearly bitten by a hammerhead shark. He has a scuba fin on his living room wall that shows a perfect bite taken out of the rubber. I am more afraid of seemingly harmless looking sea urchins than I am of sharks.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:56 AM

hum more likely to be struck by lightening then bitten by a shark....hum. i have 2 children that were struck by lightening, should i stay out of the water?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 PM

quote:
i have 2 children that were struck by lightening, should i stay out of the water?

macmom, Wow! I'm more scared of lightning than sharks. I don't really want a run in with either though. I fish from this pier on occasion and have seen quite a few of them. They seem more interested in the fish parts being thrown from the pier than the swimmers near the beach thank God.

Dwayne
Old 11-15-2008, 06:53 AM

I have to admit I am a bit of a "scaredy cat" anyway...but I have no problem snorkeling. It is so beautiful and I would never be able to enjoy it if I were too scared. I just hope sharks will prefer a smaller meal when I am in the water...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Dwayne, I used to fish from the piers in Ft. Lauderdale area when I still lived there. One night a shark was chasing a ray. The ray ran almost up to the beach and took a hard left, the shark beached itself. I was rooting for the ray. They cut the shark open, ghastly-horrible smell, but the things that came out of it were amazing. Boat parts, license plates, fishing tackle, really strange things.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM

YUCK! Those thing are swimming junk yards!

Sonny
Old 11-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Sonny you're not helping with all those SHARKS!!!! Ha, just kidding! Are there any Great Whites in the carribean? What are the most dangerous sharks in the places where people snorkel? I know when I was in Destin and swimming I was constantly looking around for a shadow or a fin.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 AM

Great Whites can be anywhere, but they are not indigenous to the Caribbean. Mako and Tiger would be the biggest problem, but I have never seen them snorkeling in the Caribbean, ever. Never want to either, please don't worry about it, it's not going to happen. They don't chum the water before you get in to dive/snorkel. Sea urchins and fire coral are much more problematic than sharks.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 PM
About the only sharks you will see are the ones selling bingo cards and clackers on board the ship:-)....Have a great swim and cruise...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
al, caribbean, close, cruise, diving, florida, gulf, nurse, parasailing, ports, scared, sharks, shore, shores, snorkeling, snuba, tubing