Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Can someone give me insight on arranging an excursion to Xcaret on our port stop in Calica? (Carnival Inspiration). There is very little information on where Calica actually is relative to other places on the Yucatan. My big question is this: Can and how can we get to Xcaret conveniently from the Calica port?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Xcaret is right next door to the Calica pier, although the bus ride is not a straight run. Calica is a commercial pier at a quarry. It is used because it is convenient. However a tent city is set up at the pier with local souvenir vendors, taxis, buses, rental cars, etc. You can get to Xcaret with very little trouble, either by booking at the pier or with Carnival. The ride is maybe 10 to 15 minutes because of the route they have to take. But once at Xcaret, if you take a ride in the observation tower you will be able to see your ship, which is about a mile away as the crow flies.

Booking it with the ship is the easiest. Plus, the buses will run from Xcaret to the ship every hour (it may be every 30 minutes) and you can come and go as you please from Xcaret - so you return to the ship for lunch if you like, and then return to the park for no added cost.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

This photo isn't too good but it shows the relationship of the ship to Xcaret. If you look closely you'll see a needle-like thing due north of the ship. That is the observation tower at Xcaret, which has a circular car that you board at the ground and then it rotates up to the top - about 200 feet I think.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 PM

thanks SO much Dave!
I really enjoy this site. Very easy to navigate and interesting posts. I especially like your positive attitude on handling those who find nothing but things to complain about when cruising. You won't hear a peep from us! Getting out of the house...and NO KIDS! A rare treat...add to it the sun and everyone doing the cooking...who could ask for more!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Forgot to mention, for some reason, Carnival does not offer that excursion at this time. Possibly it might be booked? It will fall on Christmas Day...maybe they are closed?? Who knows...Maybe YOU do! Any other words of wisdom in selecting an excursion for that port stop?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

The Xcaret website doesn't say they are closed on Christmas. But that doesn't mean they won't be closed. I see the tour on the Carnival website when I look at your cruise. I don't know the answer to this. You may need to call Carnival and see what the story is.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I really enjoy this site. Very easy to navigate and interesting posts. I especially like your positive attitude on handling those who find nothing but things to complain about when cruising.

Thank you. Speaking for the staff and members, we appreciate your kind comments. We do our best to be an honest and upfront forum, and also one that speaks to the positives and not the negatives. We also pride ourselves on not having a lot of silliness and stupid posts as you have probably seen on the larger cruise websites.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:08 PM

I noticed someone else couldn't find XCaret listed as a Carnival shore excursion. We leave next weekend on the Holiday and were looking forward to taking our little girl to XCaret. When I completed my online FunPass today, I couldn't find an XCaret shore excursion. Does anyone know if you can still get to XCaret from the pier -- or if the excursion is offered once you get on the cruise ship?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

Are you on the January 28th Holiday cruise? I just looked at this cruise on Carnival's website and Xcaret is listed as one of the Calica tour choices. Is it not showing up under tour options in your booking?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 PM

No. It showed up in the listing of choices before I registered/complete my FunPass, but once I logged in to actually book an excursion, it wasn't on the list anymore.

Closed Thread

Tags
bus, calica, carnival, cost, cruise, excursion, excursions, park, pier, review, reviews, shore, stop, tour, xcaret