Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   ocho rios (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/14305-ocho-rios.html)

jr. 04-02-2007 05:38 PM

whats there to do besides dunn rivers falls what we would like to do is maybe a daypass at a local hotel with maybe watersports to rent. and not be bothered by the locals. we went last year and it left a bad taste. Thanks

penny3333 04-03-2007 07:58 AM

The last time we were there we did a sail/snorkel that wasn't too bad. I've definitely had better snorkeling elsewhere in the Caribbean, but it was a nice excursion.

Bruce Barratt 04-03-2007 04:17 PM

Margaritaville is within walking distance from the pier. Nice safe beach.umberellas,chairs and food-drink service.lots of neat little shops.Enjoy!... Lobster Daves for lunch.

Dwayne 04-03-2007 07:34 PM

I went in 96 and have not been back. Things must have changed since then. They had a fence to keep the locals from getting close. They were all yelling to see about taxis.

I enjoyed the falls, but when finished you could not walk 1 foot without being harrassed. They had it where you had to go thru a flea market to exit back then.

You definatly could not walk anywhere then from the ship. I am glad to hear it is better.

jr. 04-04-2007 08:22 AM

we went there last sept. and its somewhere i felt very unsafe my mother almost got hit by a car trying to get away from the locals trying to sell her somthing we had just had enough and went by on the ship.Thanks for all the replies

Andrealovescruising 04-04-2007 10:03 AM

Hi islandcruz. We were in Jamaica at Dunns River last year. We still had to walk through the flea market in order to exit. And, yes, we were nagged by the vendors the entire time to buy. So, I don't think things there really have changed all too much. Not unless they made major changes since April of '06. I absolutely loved the Falls. But, when locals start following you, putting necklaces over your children's neck and pestering, it becomes a downfall to the trip. I understand that's how the locals survive and I respect that. But, they push it too far. My husband always says, "just keep walking and say no firmly."

jr., we had a similar situation happen to our family while in Jamaica where my husband almost got shot at a bank (no joke). Personally, we have no desire to ever return. If our cruise ship ever docks there again, we would probably stay on the ship. All it takes is one bad experience to ruin a destination forever.

spoheat 04-06-2007 01:33 PM

See above: main reason we were not impressed with Dunn's River Falls. It was like running through landmines to get from the top of the falls to the tourbus. The falls are neat, and I am glad we saw them. I am a fast walker and don't make eye contact--but it isn't a fun or comfortable feeling.

Remember: this is a third world country. Unemployment here is 30%. Tourism and agriculture (legal and not so legal) are the only game in town. Take a ship's tour, or a tour through an insured organization like Shoretrips.com. Ocho is one of my favorite ports for its unbelievable beauty (like plantlife, rivers, gardens, ferns, waterfalls) and best enjoyed with a layer of protection provided by being in this type of group. We did river tubing and loved it--all the guides were so helpful and wonderful with my kids. Same for a horseback ride we did with Hooves (through Shoretrips). There was a market stop where some people were set up (while dry tack goes on the horses) but they stayed in their areas and were very nice when we weren't shopping. They were not allowed to harass "Hooves" customers or drive them off. We had a wonderful time.

gkyagermom 04-07-2007 05:51 PM

I visited Island village last month, and for one thing, it's not a very short walk--my husband has mild MS and we found a taxi back--for just $3. We were on the road (sidewalk) before 9am, but were still asked to buy weed (twice) to have my hair braided and to look at at least a half dozen "crafts" being sold from the backs of peoples shacks. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_frown.gif

Once there, all was mellow. We got to watch the vendors set up and the shops open--not in any hurry..Jamaican time isn't like American time. 9:20? Close enough.

Margaritaville was fun--lots of college kids getting their shots from that back-bend pour. Guy was "hot" as my daughter would say--but had the worst teeth! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif M'ville souveniers are very expensive, and you had to pay to use the "public" beach, so we didn't bother. Not sure how to find Lobster Dave's--don't you leave the complex to do that?

Got to say a phrase I don't think I'll ever have a chance to repeat though-- "Honey, can you come out of the men's room and give me the camera? There's a lizard on the toilet in the ladies room". Little bugger even posed for me!

All in all, Island Village was fine--just what I expected...a safe way to pick up a few teeshirts and be able to say I'd had margaritas at Margaritaville.

Andrealovescruising 04-07-2007 07:12 PM

gkyagermom, now that's funny! No, you're probably right. You won't have too many opportunities to use the lizard line in the states. You probably won't be propositioned to buy weed too many times here either. You gotta love cruising. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

SuzanneS 04-15-2007 08:52 AM

I just went to Ocho Rios. Pay to use the beach by Margaritaville , it's only a couple bucks. Or buy a few drinks at Margaritaville & use pool for free. Shops had best prices for jewelry( Judith Ripka, Sophia Fiori) if you're looking for some good stuff. We did get harassed, but just ignore it. Go over to Lobster Daves for somre GREAT food & private meal. The people there were kind & proper. These are the real locals.