Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2004, 07:34 PM

Hello FUN cruisers... at least I hope that's in the top 5 of things to be while cruisin.

Oh no, Haiti is currently in state of civil & political unrest. You've seen it on tv and
the state dept. is warning travelers there. RCCL's private enclave/picnic spot LABADEE
sits on the coast of Haiti. RCCL leases the tiny & beautiful spot from the government.
They basically & strictly filter the general population off this spot. We were there with the Voyager cruise a while back. The mountain range seems to block the Haitians as well.

However, is RCCL sensitive on the safety factor?? I wonder if they still continue the
Labadee port stop during this massive unrest?? I have faith w/RC since we'll hook up with them on the Navigator of the Seas on Oct. 2, 04 sailing. Happy kroozin' to all!
Old 02-21-2004, 07:34 PM

Hello FUN cruisers... at least I hope that's in the top 5 of things to be while cruisin.

Oh no, Haiti is currently in state of civil & political unrest. You've seen it on tv and
the state dept. is warning travelers there. RCCL's private enclave/picnic spot LABADEE
sits on the coast of Haiti. RCCL leases the tiny & beautiful spot from the government.
They basically & strictly filter the general population off this spot. We were there with the Voyager cruise a while back. The mountain range seems to block the Haitians as well.

However, is RCCL sensitive on the safety factor?? I wonder if they still continue the
Labadee port stop during this massive unrest?? I have faith w/RC since we'll hook up with them on the Navigator of the Seas on Oct. 2, 04 sailing. Happy kroozin' to all!
Old 02-21-2004, 07:44 PM

I believe they have cancelled the next two weeks (at least.) I am on the Mariner sailing the first week of March and I will be interested to see if they stop. I wanted to make the port to take some pictures for PortReviews.com.

If I remember correctly, there is a thousand foot wall (total exageration for those that do not see my humor)that surrounds Labadee, so it would probably not be of any consequence if they did decide to land.

Interesting times we live in.

Tom
Old 02-21-2004, 09:06 PM

Thanks Tom. Yes, we were with you at the Voyager with the stop at Labadee. Remember Rena, NN, JE, the ladies & the disco POLE at the Celmercury?? We'll be with U at CelMillenium at EuroMed, then hook up deja vu at the Oct Navigator CS fun fling. Too bad, we won't see U at the Jewel CS.

Cruising? oh yea, Let's be ALIVE when we're still alive. Happy kroozin' to all!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:37 AM

RCCL is changing from Labadee to their private Island in the Bahamas, Coco Cays to be exact. I am sailing on Mariner of the Seas at the end of march and read the info on their web site
Old 03-04-2004, 01:38 PM

It depends on the ship and sailing date. Some will substitute Coco Cay and others will substitute Grand Bahama Is.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:07 PM

Hello,

writerwill and karen knowlton, where were you able to find that info about redirecting from labadee? there's six of us traveling on explorer of the seas april 24 and i've been looking for info as to whether or not the port was cancelled altogether or redirected to another port. Bahamas or Jamaica would be an added bonus : ) one reviewer at cruisecritic.com stated that the ship went to labadee but no one was allowed off. should i call rccl?

many thanks in advance
Old 03-04-2004, 06:14 PM

karen and writerwill, i was able to find the info i asked about on rccl's website....thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruisport, haiti, info, labadee, labadie, population, protected, rc, reviews, safe, safety, sailing, traveling, unrest