Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2006, 06:32 AM

This is our first cruise and are booked on Adventure of the Seas for July 9th. We are looking for recommendations on what to do in Antigua. Interested in recommendations for "on your own" or shore excursions. From what I have read here and other places, there does not seem to be a lot there.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:39 AM

We did AOS last summer, and I actually loved Antigua. We did the stingray excursion through Royal Caribbean in the morning, and in the afternoon, we explored the little town on our own. Within walking distance of the port is an area filled with shops and galleries.

The stingray swim was the highlight of the cruise for me. The bus ride took about 20-30 minutes, and then there was a 5-10 min. boat ride to the sandbar. On the bus ride both to and from the tour place, the drivers gave us info on Antigua and the area. It was great.

If you go, make sure you take a waterproof camera with you.

The shopping district was not my favorite, but there were a lot of things to see. Some of the buildings are very colorful, and some of my best photos are from that port.

Have fun!
-Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 AM

Sorry to tag along on this one, but I'm really looking for a good snorkel. There are 365 beaches in Antigua, and Barbuda is supposed to be great for snorkeling as well. Do you remember which beach the stingray encounter was? Did they have any catamaran sail/snorkel tours? I am so looking forward to Antigua, I've heard it is beautiful. Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry to tag along on this one, but I'm really looking for a good snorkel. There are 365 beaches in Antigua, and Barbuda is supposed to be great for snorkeling as well. Do you remember which beach the stingray encounter was? Did they have any catamaran sail/snorkel tours? I am so looking forward to Antigua, I've heard it is beautiful. Thanks!!
Penny, I am so sorry, but I don't remember the beach from which we left. It was a 20-30 minute drive (no AC in the bus, either), and it seemed like the stingray place was in the middle of nowhere. From what I remember of the pier near that place, they had only motorboats to take us to stingray city. I doubt that it had a name, and the beach in that area wasn't great, from what I recall.

I do think, however, that one of the couples with whom we ate dinner did a catamaran tour in Antigua. They either did the kayak or the catamaran there and vice versa in St. Lucia. They loved it. They were a bit more adventurous than we were. . . .We wanted to do morning excursions and be back on the ship by lunch so we could relax for the afternoon or do a short walking tour near the port. They usually did the all-day catamaran/beach/snorkle type things.

One thing I can tell you is that my biggest mistake was not getting a waterproof camera (disposable) for this part of the trip. AUGH. It is the one excursion for which I have no photos.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Thank you Chris. I definitely want to do a catamaran sail/snorkel, the sailing is half the fun. Plus the rum punch on the way back is a wonderful extra. Each island has their own special recipe. Of course, I have to try them all . I'm really looking forward to visiting Antigua, one of many islands we've yet to visit. 4 more months!! Best wishes and thank you for your time.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Don't feel bad Penny, you only have 4 more months, I have 5!!!! If you find the perfect cat/snorkle, please be sure to fill me in, thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
2005, adventure, afternoon, antigua, barbuda, caribbean, catamaran, cruise, cruises, excirsion, excursions, kayaking, recommendation, recommendations, royal, seas, shore, snorkel