Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 05:59 AM

Hello...I have booked a private tour in Jamaica with Phil Lafayette. I understand that Dunn's River is one of the stops on our tour. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult it is to climb the falls. I have mild osteo-arthiritis in my hip, but I still remain quite active. I am a little limited to what I can do. If anyone could give me a little insight on how challenging it is, I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:09 AM

Hi Lilly,

I havenīt done the Falls myself, but a friend did and we made the photos.
He is a very sportive person, in really good shape, and even he had some problems and felt down sometimes. But he has done the falls alone.
I saw some groups, holding the hands of the other persons and having a tour guide. Maybe that makes it less difficult.Somme passages seemed to be harder than another.
But I wouldnīt do it, having hip problems.
Its also fun, watching people climbing up the falls. And not so cold. I tried the water and that was really cold.
Hope it helps, Marita

Old 12-16-2005, 07:35 AM

Lilly, there are lots of folks out there who love climbing the falls.

I am not one of them.

Granted, the last time I was at Dunn's River Falls was a looong time ago. My husband and one of our friends did the climb; I watched from the stairway adjacent. You're climbing up the rocks while the falls are...well...falling on you. It is very slippery and one does much better if you are wearing water shoes of some type. The group was in a big line, all holding hands, climbing up. The guide wore everyone's camera around his neck and took a picture of the group below him with everyone's camera.

The falls empty into a beautiful, calm lagoon, where we swam while the climbers finished their climb. There are ways to appreciate the falls even if you decide not to climb.

Sandy
Old 12-16-2005, 04:18 PM

Lilly,
I just climbed Dunn's River Falls a coupl of weeks ago (There is a special report of the tour at: http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/...sJamaica55.htm . There are a number of pictures which might help you in your decision. As Sandy has mentioned, the rocks are quite slippery in places and the climb is quite steep at times. It requires a lot of lifting or hoisting yourself up the incline. But, not knowing your physical limitations due to your condition - I would not venture to guess its suitabality. I do know that there are places along the climb that exit onto the adjacent walkway, in case you decided to attempt it and then wanted to bail along the way.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 PM

I was with Nancy, but did not climb the falls because of an extremely painful heel spur that had flared up. I did watch a good number of people do the climb and I also saw many take serious falls and slips. Unless you are driven to climb the falls, I would take a pass and simply enjoy their beauty. There is one place that you can enter the falls from the adjoining walkway for pictures so that you can get some great photos of yourself in the falls without having to climb them.

My 22 year old son and his girlfriend loved the experience....but then, they are in their early 20s.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 12-17-2005, 06:19 AM

I CLIMBED THE FALLS ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO AND I WILL NEVER FORGET THE EXPERANCE EVERY ONE HELPS YOU I AM A LITTLE OBESE 250LB AND EVERY ONE HELPS YOU ALL HOLD HANDS ONE BEHIND ONE ANOUTHER AND THEY PUSH AND PULL IF YOU ARE WITH THE CRUISE THE TAKE PICTURES UNDER THE FALLS PLUS AS YOU ARE CLIMING UP HAVE FUN DO IT

STU IN DAYTON , OHIO
Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I guess I will just have to play it by year and see how I feel that day. I am inclined to at least give it a try, and it is great to know that one can chose the walkway part way up. Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Lilly,

I have climbed the falls twice. Once in 1981, when I was in the Navy and my ship stopped at Ocho Rios. Several of us did the climb by ourselves, figuring we were in shape and didn't need a guide. We were wrong. It was quite difficult in some places, and a sympathetic guide rescued me from a huge rock in the center of the falls. So much for being a macho man.

Fast forward to 1993 and my wife and I do the falls while on a cruise. I still recalled my previous experience and we quickly hooked up with a group led by a guide. You see, the guides know where all the footholds are. And the group helps each other get to the top. It is essentially a team that comes together from strangers and gets to the top!

As others have noted - you can start it and there are escape points along the way should you start feeling overwhelmed. Dunn's River Falls is a stunning thing to behold. Did you know that the base of the falls are shown in the 007 movie Dr. No? So is one of the piers at Ocho, which has been renamend the James Bond pier.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Hi all,

A good friend and fellow cruise addict did this a few months ago. She said it was one of the worst parts of her trip. She may have had high expectations, but after slipping around, and being yanked about by her group, she left with nothing but bruises and a bad taste in her mouth.

I am heading to Ochos Rios next year and based on her and other similar experiences, I'm taking a pass on the Falls. If I did go, I'd likely just swim in the lagooon and take some pictures from where we would arrive.

I live close to Niagara Falls so that's enough water falls to satisfy me. I've climbed local falls as a kid and I think that's satisfied my need to climb as well.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM

Unlike Dave I found I enjoyed climbing Dunn's River Falls more on my own - the whole hand holding thing for me was more difficult and much less fun. However, I am a bit of a risk taker, so the group guide thinkg would probably be better for someone that has any fear.
Brenda

Closed Thread

Tags
active, climb, climbing, climng, cruiseaddicts, difficult, dunn, dunns, falls, falss, guide, river, shoes, swim, walkway