Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Newbie here

My best friend and I are planning to go on a cruise together to celebrate her retirement (my first, she took a Disney cruise about 7 years ago). We are taking a February cruise to the Bahamas out of Charleston (the Fantasy).

We are both very intrigued by the idea of snorkeling. The water just looks so beautiful and inviting. We are considering the "Blue Water Catamaran Snorkeling & Beach" excursion.

We are not strong swimmers, but we can swim. We figure with the life vests we can float around, paddle and enjoy the view (and leave the more adventuresome dives to the better/more athletic swimmers).

I would love more information or comments from anyone who has taken this excursion.

thanks!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM

I have not taken that particular excursion, but most of the snorkeling excursions are similar. You don't have to be a strong swimmer to snorkel. The life vest can be inflated or deflated to provide as much flotation as you need. The dive fins help a lot in moving around.
Most of the time you can just float face down and watch the fish go by.

We love to snorkel , give it a shot.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Hi Mockette, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Congratulations on your up-coming cruise! I haven't taken that particular excursion either, but have read great reviews. Snorkeling is fantastic, the colors of the fish and coral are just amazing.

As Jim C., said, you really don't have to be a strong swimmer. Snorkeling is a very relaxing way to enjoy the beauty of the ocean. (At least I don't think you'll be pearl diving the first time).

What a great way to celebrate retiring! Best wishes!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the replies and reassurance we are SOOO excited about the trip. Now I just have to look into Parasailing options. Not my bag but she is very into the idea

Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM

I saw a Bill Engvall skit on parasailing, it was hysterical. You're not going to get me in one of those things. I just can't imagine being snatched up by straps between my legs only to be looking 800' down at the water. I know people enjoy it, but not my bag.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Hi Mockette, You will have a wonderful time snorkling. It is very easy and ALOT of fun. The fish are just amazing with all their color.

Parasailing is a blast. Just make sure you do one that uses a winch to lift and retrieve you off the deck of the boat. Landing on the beach can be rough if the wind kicks up.

Have fun,

Mark
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas 2009
Carnival Freedom 2010
Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm not real excited about Parasailing as is...I certainly have no intention of being dragged across the beach!

Now we just have to decide between the "Reef" or "Blue Water" snorkeling. We are thinking the Reef would probably be much more interesting.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 AM

I, personally, enjoy the reefs because there always seems to be so much to see. I'm sure that either one would be pretty, though.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, cabbage, caribbean, celebration, cruise, excursion, forum, love, nassau, review, snorkel, snorkeling, snorkelingexcursions