Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 AM

We were in Roatan on Wednesday, we got a taxi for the day for 50 dollars. We had contacted someone on the island so we could donate school supplies that we had brought with us. We had a picture of the building and showed it to the taxi driver so he could take us there first. off we went, arrived at the building, gave our supplies to the head person and they gave us a tour of the building and told us about the island.
returned to the taxi and told Juan our driver to show us his beautiful island. OH MY what a beautiful island it is. He showed us wild monkeys, Mccaws in the wild, they were beautiful, he showed us the island how it is, and how it is being changed. He is very proud of his island. We ended our tour at a beach on the west end. Absolutely beautiful.
I must say that for 50 dollars it was the best sight seeing tour, beach day, informative, fun we could have had.
I would recommend people to do it this way. we felt totally safe, the whole time.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 AM

Macmom, I am glad that you had such a memorable experience. Giving away the school supplies was a nice and selfless gesture that I am sure that the teachers appreciate. Thank you for your advice and input and I look forward to trying your approach to the island the next time that I am there.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM

I really enjoyed reading this macmom. What a nice thing to do! Hopefully I will be there on the 22nd, and it won't be raining this time. We are supposed to go to CoCoView with a group.

Dwayne
Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 AM

Thank you for letting us know macmom111. What a great thing to do, especially contributing school supplies! I do hope to get back to Roatan and explore a little more.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Roatan is very beautiful.....not a very wealthy place, but the people are wonderful....I'm going back in January again, and will probably rent a cab for the day....Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Hi macmom11

What a great idea. I wouldn't have thought about the school supplies thing. We just had a short taxi ride to a beach when we were there. I like your day much better. Thanks for sharing.
Judy
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
macmom111 The real beauties in Roatan were those with you and, of course, yourself! The kindness and thoughtfulness of your selfless action is humbling to many of us! I applaud your humanitarian actions-I hope many of us will duplicate this kindness whenever and wherever we may travel!I wish you many happy future voyages!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi macmom,
When we went to Roatan,we also took things for the locals but we gave them to the cab driver for him and his family.I thought about school supplies but they tend to be quite heavy so I opted for things like small toys,tshirts,candy and hats. What did you take that could reasanably fit in your suitcase and not weigh too much? There are lots of ports(where there is poverty) where little gifts to the locals are very much appreciated,we recieved big hugs from a little girl in Costa Maya for a small bag of hair decorations,candy etc.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM

thank you all for your kind words, but the truth is while researching what we would do in roatan another cruiser on another chat said they had done that and i thought well I want to do it too. I called my sister who lives 1000 miles from me and who cruises with me and asked her what she thought about the school supplies for roatan and she loved the idea. It took off from there. we took pencils, erasers, rulers, sissors, crayons, markers, colored pencils, pencil sharpeners, after making contact with the lady she asked if we could get some aspirin, childrens tylenol, toothbrushes, hand sanitizer, which we did. the only thing she asked for was for childrens books in spanish and we really tried but could not find any. we did think if our itenary was changed and we went to cozumel first we could have gotten them there, but that didnt work out. we were a sight trying to get all these suitcases, backpacks, gym bags off of the ship. but we did it. i must say it was the most rewarding thing we have done in a long time.
we also took our taxi drive a few t shirts and baseball caps.
we probably got more out of it then those that will receive it.

Closed Thread

Tags
50, dollars, excursion, island, roatan, sissors